Bay Islands Flights vs Ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Utila flights do not go much above 1,000 feet. I have done a shallow dive in Utila at 8 a.m. & flown back to Ceiba at 4 p.m. same day in the past.

Steve P:
Is there a website that shows these?

The www.AboutUtila.com web site has the up-to-date Utila Princess ferry schedules, Atlantic Airlines schedules, and the Aerolineas SOSA schedules for travelling to and from Utila.

Since the AboutUtila.com web site is dedicated to Utila, I have not included the Galaxy ferry schedules since this ferry only travels between Roatan and La Ceiba. Maybe for the benefit of tourists I need to reconsider this.

regards - Mark
AboutUtila.com webmaster
Email: WebMaster@AboutUtila.com

I remember seeing as guideline to avoid flights above 1,500 ft after diving. Of course that means I can't even drive up to our Airport-in-the-Sky on Catalina since it is at 1,602 ft elevation.

Dr. Bill

hil71:
From memory i was told the flights didnt go above 3000 feet ( but that seems awfully low) It felt that we were barely skimming the ground/water and the weather was wet and windy that day (fun on the water taxi from Belize to San Pedro!!!! not!) Like Will says - just wait till you get there and decide - we booked the night before - no hassels.
I am a pretty new diver and would hate to be giving bad advice - probably best to listen to those on the board who are instuctors or more experienced!!! Have a brilliant time - wish i was going back again soon! Hilary

the pilot on one of the flights from LaCeiba to Roatan on a Cessna Caravan (holds about 15 people - the teeny tiny plane that looks like a stretched out Cessna 150). We peaked at 5200 feet and were there for about 5 minutes. I could see the altimeter from my seat.

We found out our last trip there in March that the planes dont fly on Sunday from Utila. That made our decision for us.

Looks like the Utila Princess leaves at 6:20 am and the ferry takes ~ 2 hrs. Does anyone know when the Galaxy ferry leaves for Roatan? A tourism website listed the only departure as 15:00. That doesn't sound right. If we have to wait 6 hours in La Ceiba the flights are looking much better.

Steve

lokigold:
New Galaxy Schedule:

Roatan to La Ceiba
Departs 7:00 AM, 1:00 PM

La Ceiba to Roatan
Departs 10:00 AM, 4:00 PM

Weather permitting. We used the ferry at Christmas. It ran going over but we had to buy plane tickets to come home. Rain and rough seas cancelled the runs from Roatan to La Ceiba.

The Utila Princess Schedule is;

Utila to La Ceiba
Depart Utila 6:20 am & 2:00pm

La Ceiba to Utila
Depart La Ceiba 9:30 am & 4:00 pm

The journey time is approx 50 - 70 minutes depending upon the seas.

Also two flight are scheduled to leave Utila for La Ceiba on Sundays
Aerolineas SOSA - Depart Utila 4:00 pm
Atlantic Airlines - Depart Utila 4:00 pm

and 1 flight from Utila to Roatan on Sunday
Atlantic Airlines - Depart Utila 3:30pm

However, these flights are often cancelled if no passengers have booked them.
For full and up-to-date details of transportation, Utila flights and ferry please refer;
www.AboutUtila.com

Regards - Mark

Steve P:
Looks like the Utila Princess leaves at 6:20 am and the ferry takes ~ 2 hrs. Does anyone know when the Galaxy ferry leaves for Roatan? A tourism website listed the only departure as 15:00. That doesn't sound right. If we have to wait 6 hours in La Ceiba the flights are looking much better.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom