Bay Islands or Playa del Carmen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Which location offer "better" diving? I'm interested in seeing healthy reefs, big schools and biodiversity. I've done all my diving in Indonesia, South Africa and Mozambique. Thanks.

well i guess it would depend what time of year you are coming. playa del carmen is great in the summer as we have large schools of tarpon, the turtles are always here, the whalesharks can been seen via snorkeling to the north and then of course you will have the experience of a life time in the cenotes, the fresh water caves which are decorated more than any other world wide with formations...no fish but great formations!!

PDC's claim to diving fame are the cenotes. They are not world class, they are the class act of the world.

For great reefs and schools of fish, give Bonaire a try. Great diving, but I will leave to rest of the island to the Dutch.

I love PDC (have a place there) but in all honesty the ocean diving is better in the Bay Islands. The only way for PDC to compete is if you throw in a day or two cenote diving and maybe a day trip to Cozumel. The nightlife, shopping and 'all round holiday experience' is far superior in Playa. None of the Bay Islands have much of interest off the resorts.

I just came back in early April from a trip to the Riviera Maya where I did two days of diving out of Puerto Morelos and one day diving in a cenote.

In my opinion the diving in Roatan is much better, more fish and more coral. Also, the diving from PM was ok but not nearly as good as when we dove in Cozumel pre Wilma. I haven't been back to Cozumel since then so I can't compare PM to Cozumel's reefs today but I suspect that Cozumel is still better now.

Diving the cenote was an interesting experience but I don't think I'd be willing to pay the (large)difference in price vs boat diving in the future. The boats in the Puerto Morelos area seemed to all be small which made for wet (and cold at this time of year) rides and required a back roll to enter the water. I'm not sure whether the boats around PDC are bigger.

Thanks everyone. Now for a follow up: Roatan or Utila?

Personally, I don't know anything about Utila. Roatan, look at the south side of the island.

I just came back in early April from a trip to the Riviera Maya where I did two days of diving out of Puerto Morelos and one day diving in a cenote.

In my opinion the diving in Roatan is much better, more fish and more coral. Also, the diving from PM was ok but not nearly as good as when we dove in Cozumel pre Wilma. I haven't been back to Cozumel since then so I can't compare PM to Cozumel's reefs today but I suspect that Cozumel is still better now.

Diving the cenote was an interesting experience but I don't think I'd be willing to pay the (large)difference in price vs boat diving in the future. The boats in the Puerto Morelos area seemed to all be small which made for wet (and cold at this time of year) rides and required a back roll to enter the water. I'm not sure whether the boats around PDC are bigger.

The vast majority of the boats along the coast are the "panga's" you described. The problem is that all the beaches in Mexico are public property and building a dock to service larger boats is virtually impossible. You might be able to find a larger dive boat in Puerto Adventuras, but I have not seen one.

Check out 'Barefoot Diver's' for Roatan and Utila. If you have two weeks, they have a smokin' deal
where you can dive both islands for ~ $2500 (meals included, and ferry between the islands)

I have not been yet, but when I go, I'll do it that way (I hope). I have heard the diving is awesome there.
I am planning Bonaire, or the Aquacat Cruise (out of Nassau, has anyone done this?? looks awesome!!)
for July 3-11th. (join me if you like!)

Chris in CO (Golden)
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom