Bay Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MISFIT DIVER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback. have a group trip plan to Roatan in October. If anyone has been there and has any info on what the diving is like and if the Spooky Chanel is all thats is cracked up to be. Everything I have heard has been good. If anyone has any tips of what to expect on surface intervals I would appreciate that as well.

Spooky Channel is a cut in the coral. There are aome really nice swim throughs at a decent depth. The visibility is great. Spooky Channel is directly in front of Bay Islands Beach Resort..the channel starts near the end of the dock.

A far superior dive is on the other side of the island. it's called Mary's Place and it is a jagged swim through fissure, with a lot of overheads and twists and turns. Fairly easy diving, but if you don't like it tight..Mary's Place was the only dive that took more than 10 minutes to get to. It was 1.5 hours on the rougher seas. ..well woth it. The size of the pillar corals is amazing..you can almost lower yourself in to some of them.

have fun !!

Ah, Mary's Place. What a dive. That's one of the best dives I have ever done. :)

Roatan is the epitome of easy, leisurely diving. A lot of it is shallow, so you can do a lot of it if you want.

Roatan is where i got hooked on diving. I think I prefer freshwater
but the current is so gentle around the Bay Islands and the water so warm it's nice to relax and enjoy the show.

Thanks, I appreciate it. The only warm water diving I have done was at Cayman Brac last year so I am loking forward to having something to compare it to. Hey Vertigo, did you stay at the Bay Islands Beach resort? Thats were we are going to stay. I agree with ya, cold deep fresh water is still the best. Nothing better then the wrecks of Lake Erie or Tobermory Canada. Thanks again guys.

Notwithstanding the accurate accolades offered re Mary's Place, it is well worth checking out Spooky Channel and some of the immediately neighboring reef. It is certainly among my top five Roatan dives. It is light on fish life, viz actually can vary from good to poor, but the vista is outstanding and IMHO that vista is even more dramatic than Mary's Place. You will also see corals growing upside down.

Good luck.

I just got back from Roatan yesterday and what a fantastic trip it was. We elected to go with an independent operator (Ocean Connections in West End) and they were great. $15 for boat dives and $20 for Nitrox. We saw a pod of 10-15 dolphins on our second dive and the next day we were one of the three boats that saw the Orca whales cruising off the coast. We sped out about 1/2 mile from shore and there they were coming up about 20 feet from the boat. It was fantastic. We stayed at 1/2 Moon Bay and were quite pleased with the service and the food. We chose that instead of the all inclusive becasue we like to explore a little more than just dive but I was there for 4 full days and got in 8 dives including an amazing night dive. I will definitley be back. As far as sites are concerend I really liked Black Rock, 1/2 Moon Bay reef and Hole in the Wall.

I returned from Roatan a few weeks ago and dived Mary's Place and Spooky Channel. Spooky Channel was my favorite as it was much more atmospheric. It does depend on the lighting, however, it was bright sun the day I dived and the sunlight filtering through the coral structures gave some amazing effects.

Mike

MISFIT DIVER once bubbled...
Looking for some feedback. have a group trip plan to Roatan in October. If anyone has been there and has any info on what the diving is like and if the Spooky Chanel is all thats is cracked up to be. Everything I have heard has been good. If anyone has any tips of what to expect on surface intervals I would appreciate that as well.

Was there last March at the BIBR (which is right by Spooky Channel)

Spooky is a cool dive, when we were there vis was about 15-20ft so we were calling it Silty Channel. The DM's said that there wasn't enough current to "clear Spooky up" at that time.
(Note: The rest of the diving was 50-80ft vis)

tips of what to expect on surface intervals?
Sitting in a boat, drinking some water and eating some fruit? What are you asking here?

Back
Top Bottom