BC as a carryon item

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving4TheHalibut

Registered
Reaction score
About a year ago, I saw a man in the Atlanta airport wearing his BC. I know that a BC can be a carryon item on most airlines. So, I was wondering if anyone knows if you can wear your BC on the plane and have the flight attendants hang it in the jacket closet at the front of the plane.

Unfortunately, I did not get to speak to the man in the Atlanta airport, so I do not know if he was able to get on the plane like that.

Of course, this would be a great thing if divers could wear their BCs on board instead of having to pack them. I guess the only problem with that is when you are returning with a wet, stinky BC.

I'm sorry, but your post gave me a terrible case of the giggles...hehe

I can't think of a really good reason to have it as carry-on, let alone as part of your wardrobe. sorry... giggles again....
What tie goes well with a BCD?
I can see a camera - strobes, computer, maybe your regulators, but pack the BCD, suit, fins, etc. in a suitcase. As cool as dive kit is, I would laugh out loud if I saw it being worn to board a plane. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I would.

Joe

I don't see why you can't bring it as a carry-on, with one possible exception.

They may not let you bring a backplate. This is just a 'may not', and not a defineatly not. I've seen other similar things get rejected, but a standard bc shouldn't be a problem.

Now the million dollar question, "Why not pack it?"

I always take my travel BC as carry on. In fact I carry it all. If they lose my clothes I can deal with that. Scuba gear is too important to check into the belly of an airplane. I do check the dive knives and other pointed items. I see no problem with back plates either. In my travels I usually am carrying on a 40 pound electronic test macine. Brings some questions, but I always get it on the plane.

Back
Top Bottom