BC bladder repair update.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello All,

This is an update from thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/223227-aquaseal-same-rtv-2.html

OK...here is an update on the BC bladder repair. After sorting through all the suggestions and finding no Aquaseal available at my LDS, I used a waterbed repair kit. My lovely wife cut out a circular patch using her Creative Memories cutting tool. The vinyl patch extends 1/2 inch past the hole left by the removed CO2 cartridge firing mechanism. I placed the main patch on the INSIDE of the bladder and with careful use of tweezers and Q-tips (cotton buds for Limeys) applied the adhesive to the interior patch, then applied a smaller patch over the outside of the hole. After sitting overnight under the pressure of several books (Tom Clancy for the heavy weight and Michael Creighton for suspense) I am happy to report that all is well and the patch has passed the bladder-under pressure/soapy water check.

Unfortunately, my regulator is not working today, so I must send my oldest son into the water with the man eating sharks for the final test. (Line I stole from Jacques)

Thanks for all your suggestions.

couv

Hello All,

This is an update from thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/223227-aquaseal-same-rtv-2.html

......Unfortunately, my regulator is not working today, so I must send my oldest son into the water with the man eating sharks for the final test. (Line I stole from Jacques) Thanks for all your suggestions.....couv

This repair is not quite as neat or as easy to apply as Doc Ed's in this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/2807870-post20.html, but it is flexible and works well.

I got another BC with the exact same discrepancy, so I used the same method of repairing it. This time I took pictures.

Unfortunately, I did not have access to the circular cutter I had last time, so I used a large socket wrench and knifed around it with a razor blade to make my patches. Also ran short on vinyl so I used a piece of inner tube for the outer patch. I tried a bicycle inner tube repair kit, but I got better results with a piece of inner tube and the vinyl adhesive. I needed to repair a hole, actually plug a hole that was left in the bladder where the old CO2 cartridge detonator stem was removed.
First, I removed the material that held the stem inside the bladder. Then gently scraped the inside to remove most of the old adhesive. I removed the remaining adhesive with acetone and a Q-tip and prepped the inside with acetone too. The most important step when applying adhesive or paint is the removal of contaminates that would prevent proper adhesion. Next, I cut out a circular patch from a vinyl repair kit. Circular is better than square or triangle as there is less chance of something catching on a small area and peeling it away. A patch on the pressure side (inside) is also a better practice as the internal pressure actually helps to seal. The patch should also be as large as practical. I pushed the patch through the hole and applied the adhesive to the patch and the inside faying surface (area where sealing takes place). It goes without saying that you have to be very careful not to have ANY surplus adhesive squeezing out beyond the perimeter of the patch.

After the internal patch cured long enough to hold itself in place, I applied an external patch as an added measure. Unfortunately, I did not have any more vinyl material so I used a made a patch from a bicycle inner tube. I had an inner tube repair kit, but the patches were rectangular. The adhesive from the inner tube repair kit would not adhere the rubber patch to the vinyl, so I used more of the vinyl repair kit adhesive which did the job very nicely.

To apply pressure over the area I left the patched area sandwiched between two pieces of plywood and placed a steel 100 on top.

Here are the pictures of the process.

Couv

before2.JPG

after_external_patch.JPG

inflated.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom