BC Dive Club Name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay folks, it's getting close to decision time. I've made this thread with the intention of posting all of the proposed names for the club. I thought about making an poll but due to the amount of entries I think this will work better. Once we have a shortened list of entries I will make an official poll thread so we can pick one of the nominated names.

If you like a name in the list, or wish to suggest a name, or wish to point out a name I missed, make a post nominating the name of the club in the message title and subject. I will then tally up the leading names and add them to a "Nominated Names" list.

Please keep all posts related to picking a name. Use this thread for other dive club discussion.

List of Proposed Entries

Submitted by OE2X
BC Abyss
BC Strokes
Van-eels
BC Octos
BC Deep Divers
BCurrents
BC Lumpsuckers
Southern BC Bottom Timers
BC Hoovers
BC Gas Breathers
Buoyancy Control Masters
Southern BC Free Ascenders

Submitted by SeanQ
West Coast Wolf Eels
British Columbia Blackfish
BC Bottom Chummers

Submitted by RTBCAT
Lower Mainland Dive Adventures
Lower Mainland Dive Aquanaunts
Southern BC Otters
Southern BC Sculpins

Submitted by scubandrea
Vancouver Scubaddicts
Pacific Southwest Scubaddicts
Southern BC Wreck'd Divers
Southern BC/Greater Vancouver DEVILFISH
Southern BC/Greater Vancouver Spyhoppers

Submitted by SpawnOfZena
Vancouver Scuba Frogs
Vancouver Scuba Fish
Team Narcosis

Submitted by Daryl Morse
Vancouver Scuba Junkies

Submitted by Mike Veitch
Howe Sound Sculpins

Submitted by TinoD'Voe
Underwater Mullets
GVRDivers
The smelly tuna's
Vancouver diving club that formed on scubaboard.com
The soggy canucks

Submitted by Lightning Fish
Northern Narcosis
GVRDivers

Submitted by Jimi
BCD - British Columbia Divers

Submitted by bcsean
BC Puddle Jumpers
NaCl H20 Junkies

I think that is all of the entries. Post a message if I missed any and I will update this list.

If it's a Vancouver Club/lower mainland club make sure the name refects it! Us northern divers don;t want to be thrown in with all you pretty boy city slickers :D

How bout, the BCD. it reflects the popular bouyancy compensation device, and it means "British Columbia Divers"

SeanQ: NICE work! Thanks for making a list. We actually have past the date(s) we set to make a decision, but let's give it a few more days - until say Wednesday March 2?
I was actually going to take care of it tonight until I saw your posting.

My Favorite names would be...

Southern BC Blackfish
Southern BC Spyhoppers
Southern BC Devilfish
Southern BC Scuba Frogs
GVRDivers
or
British Columbia Divers (BCD)

I can't stress how important (I think) it is to make this Southern BC, GVRD or just slightly specific to this area. I like Southern BC because it includes the island. Vancouver divers would in my opinion create a feeling of exclusion for "us" in the suburbs or on the island.

This in NO way would exclude other areas like Northern BC, Washington or ANYWHERE for that matter, but my whole idea for starting this thread was to create a place where people in this general area could meet and set up some diving. :)

Andrea

Doh, just saw this post now. got 2 more

BC Puddle Jumpers
NaCl H20 Junkies (attach whatever area you want before name)

The Smelly Tunas are my vote.
This makes people laugh and it will make people look. Under the name you can add This club is dedicated to diving in Southern BC waters. I don't think it's necessary to have Southern BC in the title as long as you have the above. As a matter of fact I think it's too wordy. In advertising, copy should like be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting.

Some of the other names - mine especially are pretty forgetable.

Second choice is Spy Hoppers.

scubandrea:
Southern BC Blackfish
Southern BC Spyhoppers
Southern BC Devilfish
Southern BC Scuba Frogs
GVRDivers
or
British Columbia Divers (BCD)
My vote is for British Columbia Divers...

Note that Southern BC would also include places that are a 1000 km from Vancouver.

With GVRDivers, can anyone expand on the first three letters to turn it into an acronym? (Other than the obvious).

Devilfish, Vancouver Devilfish also sounds good. Can someone explain the origin of spyhoppers?

Cheers,
Bill.

I hoped that people would post one that they liked so we could pick one from a shortened list. Things rarely seem to work out according to one's hopes though.

GVRDivers could be pronouced as "Giver Divers". This would tie in nicely if we were a charity organization.

Spyhopping is a behaviour exhibited by whales. The whale pokes their head out of the water and looks around for a few minutes before descending again.

This is a picture of an orca spyhopping.
spyhop.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom