BC HOSE RIPS OFF---No Positive Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am surprised that one of the "best trained divers in Florida " would have such a difficult time with this.

From your profile:
<<Dive History: I am a graduate of the FSU Open Water Diver Course. I received 3 college credit hours to become a diver!!! They say we are the best trained divers in the state of Florida. >>

You were being dragged behind a boat? Thats called trolling I believe??

I don't think anyone should be giving this guy advice. He's too stupid to understand why such a law against catching lobster using SCUBA is put in place and cares little for the marine environment. Furthermore, there is a pretty obvious alternative to inflating a bc when the lp hose malfunctions, but then this gets back to my initial comment.

FSU John:
So my uncle and I are looking for lobster off of Bimini. I am dragging him behind the boat while he is looking for coral heads with fish around them. I have been on 20 or so dives, so I am confident in the water and with my equipment which was a hand me down from a different uncle. We spotted some lobster so I went down to catch the critters. <I know it is illegal to catch lobster on SCUBA in the Bahamas, but shhhhhh> Well I was not worried much about buoyancy, I just wanted some lobster. So I descended to about 25ft caught two lobster and started my ascent. I was under for about 2 min, so I wasn’t worried about a safety stop. I pushed my inflator button and pushed it again, and again and again while I was swimming upwards, BUT GOT NOTHING. So now I'm thinking, huh this is weird, its pretty hard to swim to the surface. Well back then i was pretty over weighted(14lbs) no wet suit and i weight about 160lbs. I didnt panic, but I wasnt sure how serious the problem was. So I basically swam my *** off to the boat, which was about 15 yards away. I will tell you, that was not an easy swim. I could have ditched my weights and donned my uncles gear to retrieve them, but I didnt deem the situation that imperative. Once back in the boat I inspected the BC to find that the inflator hose was 50% torn off from the flange where it is melted and sealed to the BC. Boy am I glad this did not happen at 80 or 100 ft..... What is the proper technique if this were to happen at a deep depth? If you drop your weights that deep you are shooting to the surface, right? Should you depend on your buddy and his BC to help you swim up? Has anyone else had this problem??? Not a life and death story, but an incident from the normal all the else.
I dont think you did anything right this dive, was your training at FSU done during a college frat party drinking binge?

Wasn't oral inflation of the BC an option?

Brandon

It's not just the law (though that's good enough reason); I loved seeing the large number of massive bugs in Bimini and the surrounds. Guys like this could make that a thing of the past.

Dude, find yourself another hobby!

BCS:

Brandon

He said "Once back in the boat I inspected the BC to find that the inflator hose was 50% torn off from the flange where it is melted and sealed to the BC. Boy am I glad this did not happen at 80 or 100 ft..... "

Oral inflation of the BC is not going to do anything to help out in this situation --- you musta missed that part! :)

TekDiveGirl:
He said "Once back in the boat I inspected the BC to find that the inflator hose was 50% torn off from the flange where it is melted and sealed to the BC. Boy am I glad this did not happen at 80 or 100 ft..... "

Oral inflation of the BC is not going to do anything to help out in this situation --- you musta missed that part! :)
Thanks TDG. I mistook that for the LP hose....doh!
I would beleive that a re-examination of his weighting is one way to go here.
Proper weighting distributed between ditchable and non ditchable could have helped make this whole issue a non issue.
Also, a buddy and an equipment check before jumping in the water....I don't think that a melted inflator hose happened between jumping in the water and noticing the problem.
Maybe this will serve as a wake up call.

Safe dives,
brandon

Yeah Brando, wake up and smell the coffee! :wink:
:D

BCS:
Thanks TDG. I mistook that for the LP hose....doh!
I would beleive that a re-examination of his weighting is one way to go here.
Proper weighting distributed between ditchable and non ditchable could have helped make this whole issue a non issue.
Also, a buddy and an equipment check before jumping in the water....I don't think that a melted inflator hose happened between jumping in the water and noticing the problem.
Maybe this will serve as a wake up call.

Safe dives,
brandon

BCS:

Brandon

Nahhh.....He was too winded from bounce diving poaching bugs.

Possible troll here? In another thread on the topic of fins, he mentions a wierd problem with his ankles that nobody but him can explain. His profile does make sense though. The FSU scuba program is as he describes it however I thought it was 1 or 2 credit hours and not 3?

Back
Top Bottom