BC Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lildiver

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'd like some input on women's BC's please. I currently dive in a man's small Scubapro classic. I am looking for a good BC in a woman's model (any manufacturer). Can anyone give me some "honest" info and not "hype"? Thanks for any information
lildiver

I dive in a small Diva LX. I can tell you why I bought and love mine and you can decide if these are things that are important to you. I experienced lower back pain from lugging a tank in a bent over position wearing a men's small BC. I borrowed a Diva from another diver for a day and was immediately sold on the lumbar support. If you are not experiencing back pain or strain currently then it might not be worth the extra cash for the Diva LX. It is a pretty expensive BC in terms of recreational equipment.

The things I have grown to love about it over the year I have had it are the easy to get in and out of pockets. I dive primarily lakes and I like to bring up trash and other odd treasure so getting the pockets open and closed under water easily has become an important thing to me. Also there are many D rings on the front to secure camera, light, gauges to.

I have heard criticism of the Diva both on this board and from women in my dive club that the Diva does not come in Large enough sizes to accomodate plus size divers. I think it is unfortunate that the manufacturers don't realize that divers come in many shapes and sizes. If this is an issue I have heard that the Lady Hawk comes in an XL.

Hope this helps!

Scubabunny,
Thanks for your reply on the BC question. It's input just like you've given that I'm looking for. I'd probably need a S or XS, so size wouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering what the lift is and also when inflated at the surface, does it want to push you forward? Do you know of anyone that has a Scubapro LadyHawk? I would also like input on that BC.
Thanks again for your good info.

~lildiver

Different scubabunny here...don't want to confuse you!

I have the Diva QD, which is the older version of the DivaLux (smaller pockets, plastic D-rings, and cheaper price) and have been very happy with it. However, due to an unfortunate accident (involving bleach...don't ask..long story!) I am now planning on getting the LadyHawk. I thought about the DivaLux, but the LadyHawk is more in my price range. I haven't tried one yet, but everyone I've talked to that got one has LOVED it. It does have the trim weight pouches in the back to compensate for the back inflation..if you do find yourself going face down. Hopefully, I can try one this weekend, and I'll let you know what I think.

BTW...if you are interested in a kind of "russet-orange/with purple highlights" Diva QD, I have one I'll sell you REAL cheap! Won't have to worry about anyone stealing it! hehe

scubabunny (different scubabunny) Hey thanks on the offer of the unusual colored BC. I really would like to know what you think of the LadyHawk if you get to try it. I have a man's scubapro BC now and it's been a very good one. I just think I would be more comfortable in a ladies cut. Thanks for your advise.

~lildiver

lildiver,

It is that first scubabunny! I know we get confusing. We are hopping up everywhere!

You mentioned you were interested in the Diva LX lift, I checked and my small is 32 lbs. It depends on what size BC you get. Here is the link to seaquest's website where I got the info.

http://www.sea-quest.com/pages/bc/bc_chart.html

I know a few women in my dive club who dive with the LadyHawk. We meet on Tuesday nights if you can wait I will check with them and see what they say.

KC,
Thanks for the link...I checked out the info. And if you don't mind, please find out what the ladies in your dive club think of the LadyHawk. (Buying a new BC is nothing like buying a new dress, is it?) *grin*

~lildiver

scubakat, I read all the posts on the thread on BC's you provided. I guess it comes down to trying on a lot of BC's
to find the right one.

~lildiver

good luck in your quest lil diver! I wish that I had taken more more time in choosing my current BC, but as a new diver I didn't know what my personal requirements would be... Now that I've been diving for a few months I can see clearly what *I* need to look for in my next one. Don't get me wrong, there is Nothing Wrong with my BC, I like it very much, but my needs & requirements have changed a little.

-kate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom