BC Knife Mounting Preference?

How do you mount backup knife?

• I only carry a BK on my leg. NO backup.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Mounted on BC w/ zip ties.

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • I only carry EMT shears as backup. NO knife.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • In BC/Wetsuit/DrySuit pocket.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Duct taped to my hairy chest.

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Small knife on inflator hose, EMT shears in holder/bungee on D-ring.

What Mike F. said...only the opposite (knife on belt left of centre, shears in thigh pocket).

I'm using a SQ Black Diamond BC which has grommets on the cumberbun pocket flap. I found a knife the the sheath bolts perfectly to these two gromments. I have the knife handle facing for easy retreival with my right hand, but I can also remove it with my right hand if needed. It doesn't stick out or get in the way of anything and it's always there without having to strap it on somewhere. Works good for me.

I don't carry shears but know several buddys who do. How many times have you actually needed shears and a knife could NOT do the job?

Willar:
I don't carry shears but know several buddys who do. How many times have you actually needed shears and a knife could NOT do the job?

I don't think the question is when a knife couldn't do the the job. The question is when do the shears do a better job. Personally, I'd like to avoid spending all my bottom time detangling, and the shears seem like a much better solution for that.

Just as you likely have both scissors and knives in your kitchen, as they serve different purposes, carrying shears and a knife while diving is also a good plan.

Shears and a knife on the waist, left of center.

Willar: In my diving, the shears get used quite a bit more often than the knife does and in some instances a knife would have been ineffective. If I were forced to give one up, it would be the knife.

Andy: There's no such thing as a good pair of shears - they're engineered to be cheap and effective. If you're going to put them in a pocket, you can buy them for less than $5 from medical supply houses. If you want a sheath designed for divers, you'll have to add another $10 or so unless you want to home-brew, in which case it will cost you another $200 in time and materials.

reefraff:
Shears and a knife on the waist, left of center.

Same here ...

To respond to an earlier comment, there are times when a knife is ineffective. It's difficult to cut through steel fishing leader with a knife, but shears will handle the job easily.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi, OK those looking for cheap EMT shears try Cheaper Than Dirt .com The stuff they offer is usually either military surplus which they will specify or if they are really cheap, usually of pakistani origin for like 4 bucks. They can also be found at any gun show 5.00 tops...oop! tipped my hand as to my other activities. And buy a can of Plasti dip from Home Depot and dip the handles about three times to thicken the grip and make tough cutting easier on the hands. By the way I carry both a knife mounted on my BC and shears on a magnaclip in my right bc pocket. Luckily My oceanic probe bc has pockets galore....Thanks
D-Diver
OWA

I carry a medium-sized knife that I rigged with a Fastex buckle (the typical plastic buckle found on most everything these days) on my right shoulder strap, away from hoses. One part of the buckle is tied with cord on the backside of the sheath near the top, and the other part zip-tied to the shoulder strap. I also have a zip-tie loop that the end of the sheath slides through to keep it from dangling. The knife is mounted inverted, is easily accessible, and stays close to my BC, yet is easily removeable, sheath and all.

I also carry a large knife strapped inside my left thigh, in traditional style. With the knife between your legs, entanglement issues are minimal, IMO.

Z-knife line cutter on computer wrist strap for open water, extra z-knife on chest strap for overhead environment.

In the old days I carried a small dive knife cable tied to the left shoulder strap, but came to the conclusion that most dive knives are good for using as tank bangers and as security blankets during triggerfish attacks. Apart from that they are pretty useless.

Back
Top Bottom