BC suggestions and tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am hoping I can get a few tips/suggestions on the selection of a BC.
I have been adding one piece of gear at a time and now searching for a
BC. There are so many brands out there (overwhelming) and would like one that is reliable and built well. My budget is up to $325. 6 D-rings, stainless and two tank bands would be nice.
2 pockets, (zippered?) to hold a spare mask and maybe a SMB. Weight integrated. I use 10-12 lb. in warm water and 24 lb. in the "cooler" waters of Southern California.
I would be traveling with this to COZ & PI every year so, weight or bulk would need to be considered. I'm 5'11' 168lb and have been renting a medium, (rentals not very good condition in the US, in the PI good stuff).
Any advice would be appreciated. I check Craigs list for my area, but not sure what' a good deal or not, and I have looked at Leisure Pro selection. I have a sports chalet close by and was going to check there selection out this weekend.

Take your time and do some research and reading on this board.

I have good experiences with SeaQuest (which I use for my PADI courses). I think as long as you go with the big brands, they should be good. For me it is more important to get (whatever piece of gear and/or brand) from a good and responsible shop. So yeah, shop around before settling down.

Oh, take a look at a backplate and wing system. You might be interested. Not saying it's the way to go for you. But certainly take a look and learn a bit about the system. I will always prefer to be diving in a BP+Wing system whenever possible.

I am hoping I can get a few tips/suggestions on the selection of a BC.
I have been adding one piece of gear at a time and now searching for a
BC. There are so many brands out there (overwhelming) and would like one that is reliable and built well. My budget is up to $325. 6 D-rings, stainless and two tank bands would be nice.
2 pockets, (zippered?) to hold a spare mask and maybe a SMB. Weight integrated. I use 10-12 lb. in warm water and 24 lb. in the "cooler" waters of Southern California.
I would be traveling with this to COZ & PI every year so, weight or bulk would need to be considered. I'm 5'11' 168lb and have been renting a medium, (rentals not very good condition in the US, in the PI good stuff).
Any advice would be appreciated. I check Craigs list for my area, but not sure what' a good deal or not, and I have looked at Leisure Pro selection. I have a sports chalet close by and was going to check there selection out this weekend.

For $200 you can get a hog brand wing and for another $100 or you can get a SS plate and STA from hog or FredT or hammerhead and for another $30 you can have the webbing and D-rings to make a single piece harness and for $50 you can get a pair of scubapro style tank straps. It puts you over budget but its gonna fit your needs and will retain resale value if you decide to sell and it modular enough to grow with your needs.

BP/W all the way :)

The ScubaPro Classic Sport is a great BC and is on sale at Leisurepro for exactly your budget--$325. Almost as if they knew, huh?

Scubapro Classic Sport BC

I am interested in the BP +Wing system, so many positive reviews and opinions on these, but not sure yet. Are hog, FredT, and hammerhead names of people or companies who make these set ups. I am only familiar with DSS. They are well above my budget so I went back to looking at jacket style BC's. Yet when I go to their website, (DSS), I'm completely lost at what setup to look at or custom build. I definately need more information on the BP & W systems.

I am interested in the BP +Wing system, so many positive reviews and opinions on these, but not sure yet. Are hog, FredT, and hammerhead names of people or companies who make these set ups. I am only familiar with DSS. They are well above my budget so I went back to looking at jacket style BC's. Yet when I go to their website, (DSS), I'm completely lost at what setup to look at or custom build. I definately need more information on the BP & W systems.

Google is your friend today:D

Lots of companies make components to a backplate and wing system and lots of companies make every component you might need. I tend to like mismatching gear and because everything is universal it all still works fine.

FredT is a board member here who makes backplates and single tank adapters and some weights. I own his products, they are inexpensive and top quality.

Hammerhead makes only plates and sta's, I don't like to suggest them cause I've heard rumor they stole the design from FredT or OMS

Hog is a branch of Edge products, actually I don't recall how they are connected but Edge/Hog are brands not to be confused with Hog which is short for Hogarthian which is a coined term for a diving system pioneered by Bill Hogarth Main many years ago. Now that your confused I'll point out that everything I have seen from hog (the brand) has been inexpensive yet top quality.

Other companies that make bp/w parts or complete systems include but are not limited to:

Halcyon
Dive Rite
Oxycheq
Leviathan (former Salvo)
Deep Sea Supply
OMS
Zeagle
etc

As far as quality goes they all make good stuff, DSS has some unique features but their outside your budget. Halcyon would be top of the price scale I think and edge/hog and hammerhead and FredT would be lowest on the price scale.

Sometimes Dive Rite will have crazy specials where you can save even more.

To create a BP/W you need these components:

-Plate (SS, aluminum, composite, plastic)
-Wing
-Harness (I prefer single piece, as do many of the top technical divers in the world)
-STA or Single Tank Adapter. Its not always necessary but I sure like mine. (also come in SS or ali)

A harness like mine requires these simple inexpensive items :

-15-20ft of 2" webbing
-5-8 2" D-rings
-2 belts slides more than the number of D-rings
-1 SS buckle
and about an hours time for the first one.

A stop at Scuba equipment, Dive gear, reefscuba.com, Manufacturer of scuba diving equipment. Buy brass hardware, stainless steel hardware, surgical tubing, latex surgical tubing, bungee cord, parachute cord, Waterborne watch bands, SEACURE mouthpieces, velcro can get you all these items for about $30-40 or you can get kits from Hammerhear, Salvo, Oxycheq, Dive Rite, Halcyon, and most others. This single piece harness is usually referred to as a "hog" harness because it's part of the hogarthian system.

Let me know if you need help. T

Blue Steal,

You're in SoCal so get with Deep Sea Supply and get hooked up with a good rig. It's going to be closer to $500, but a good bc is good investment that pays itself off in the long run. There's nothing more miserable than a crappy BC system.

Listen to these guys!

Get the right thing on your first go round, be happy and save a ton of money in the long run!

Oh and did you have fun in Cozumel with Blue Angel?

My trip to COZ is in October. Hoping to get some good dives in.
Thanks for the tips fnfalman. Can't spend that much right now, as the trip to COZ has set me back quite a bit. Hope to see you out on the Great Escape August 29th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom