BCD advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

picollo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,
My wife and I are relatively new divers and after a year of renting, have decided to buy our equipment.
I have just purchased the Aqua lung Pro HD for my wife and am having some second thoughts. Is this a mens BCD? Is there a difference for mens and women's BCDs?

Thanks in advance.

There are BCs for both and BCs that have been specifically designed with women in mind.

Not wearing a jacket bc and not being a woman I have no idea as to the latest and greatest or if the BCs designed for women are good or not. Hopefully some more knowledgable folk will chime in soon. Good luck and welcome to SB.

The typical differences between a Men's and a Women's BCD are: Fit, color, and sizing. A women's "small" will usually be smaller than a man's "small." They advertise (I'm a man, so I'm not sure how true this is) being better designed to fit a woman's curves. They also typically come in bright/pretty colors that men typically don't want. One more I forgot: They frequently have more "female" names....like Diva, Zena, and Pearl.

Only thing I'll suggest is this: Look into a backplate/wing. Everybody is sick of seeing these suggested, because everyone suggests them. However, they're great to custom-fit to any size/shape diver, they're modular, durable, and simple. Most things new divers believe to be "features" end up being "extra bulk" after a hundred or more dives. Not pushing you that way, just suggesting you look into them.

Other questions: What water tempterature, tanks, and how much lead do you normally dive? What are your mid- and long-term goals with diving?

Thanks for the replies. We are currently living in Dubai and will be returning stateside this winter. We have been mainly diving in tropical waters.
The BCD fits my wife and she is happy with it so we will be keeping it.

Thanks for welcoming us on the board.

Pro HD From Aqualung is a great simple BC from Aqualung. In my experience through, I would definitely consider the Pearl from Aqualung because it was designed with woman in mind. That means that it is scalloped to fit womans hips and it also has support in the right places. I have found that attention to equipment for female divers to be the single biggest factor in helping making them comfortable in the water. In my opinion the difference in the price between the Pro HD and the Pearl is justifiable for the level of comfort achieved.

It's a jacket so it fits most people if sized correctly.

As mentioned ^ one feature the Pearl has it doesn't:
It also incorporates a plush back lining and Aqua Lung's proprietary, integrated sports bra (patented) for added comfort and stability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom