BCD carrying handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My BC has a tank height webbing that makes setting the tank & BC up very easy... It also has a carrying handle that is more than strong enough to lift the whole kit up.. They are 4 years old with 100's of dives and no sign of wear..

Jim...

the normal bands, which are anything but crappy, will actually hold a bc up when they are open, the scubapro ones open a bit too far and it slides too easily. Some see this as an advantage, I find it quite annoying.

Hi there!

When I took the SDI Solo Diver course last year, my instructor recommended me not to place the BCD carrying handle over the cylinder valve, so that I could use the handle to carry the BCD. His recommendation sounded perfectly logic to me, as I suppose that that is why the thing in question is called a "carrying handle". Right?

This year I joined the local dive club, which is affiliated with CMAS. In the club I noted that everyone there has been taught to position the handle over the valve; I've got the impression that they do it simply because it's the customary practice in the club, without asking themselves what the justification for the practice is.

It seems to me that an advantage of not placing the handle over the valve is that the handle can be used as such until the scuba equipment gets disassembled, which may be useful, for example, when boat diving. By leaving the handle free, you can hand an assembled equipment to someone in the boot, by holding the BCD and the rest of the equipment from the handle. On the other hand, I wonder whether leaving the handle free would not transform it into a potential source of entanglement in certain sites.

I was just curious to know the reasons why you position or not the BCD carrying handle over the cylinder valve.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

On jackets, it's not a handle but a position aid for tank mounting. Several backplate manufactures, like Halcyon, include a sewn-in carry handle in the outer wing material. And, it can be used when fully assembled ...even with steel tanks (though I'm not sure why you would want to). IST makes and sells an add-on for backpacks (IST HD30H BCD Handle) that mounts to the top edge of the plate and is to be used anytime, even with steel tanks. And Poseidon makes on for their Se7en rebreather (Poseidon Se7en Carry Handle 6011-019 @ DGX), that could probably mount to a plate, or be modified to do so easily, but might be more bother (its big) that you would get for the utility (I'm toying with trying this with one of my plates to see if it works).

I also think some people are confusing an actual handle with the tank-height marker strap.

My Scuba Pro Hydros Pro comes with both.

The height marker has three purposes:
first, you set the desired cylinder location and thats it
its at that height every time - no guessing or eyeballing

secondly, it makes attaching the cinch band easier since the BCD is now weightless

thirdly, it makes taking BCD of the cylinder easier - the BCD doesn't drop down with all the weights attached
it hangs by the height marker strap

The handle is great for moving the BCD around or for setting it on the cylinder
but I would not use the hydros pro handle for lifting the BCD with weights and cylinder

Maybe I'll hoist it up on a table with the right hand on the handle and left on tank valve

its a nuisance with my current xDeep zen bp/w because there is no handle (ordered a kayak handle - lets see how that goes)

Handle:

0520_tests_Hydros-Pro_main-394x248-1604660944.jpg

height marker:

upload_2021-4-13_19-49-46.png

its a nuisance with my current xDeep zen bp/w because there is no handle

I have a SS Zen BP. I have the same issue... Adding a handle will be a lot easier then buying multiple STAs. Maybe I should add a handle too...

This.
I just found that IST makes one thats 40cm long (traditional kayak handles are 28cm).
I think 28 cm on my xDeep may be a bit short - but that depends on your plate's holes offerings.
My xDeep plate is only 25cm wide across the top so where are you mounting the 40cm handle?

Back
Top Bottom