Bcd for daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to get my adult daughter a bcd for Christmas this year, are there any brands that should be avoided?

What kind of diving does she do?

She really needs to try them on, if at all possible.

Just regular rec diving, I'm just getting her a gift certificate but when she goes to pick it out I was just wondering if there is a brand who's quality should be avoided.

Not really because no mfg will sell junk. The liability is too great.
That said, there are specific BC's that are way overpriced for what they are and what they do. You pay a premium for a name that doesn't do anything for the function of the unit.
There are also BC's with gimmicks and flashy stuff that also do not add to the overall function or resale value.
Simpler is better as well as less expensive.
Simple can also often be tailored to the diver so that the rig fits the same way, every time. Modular so that if any one component does fail or gets worn, the whole BC doesn't have to be replaced.
I just ordered a BC for a customer. She's buying it for her 11 yr old daughter. It will be the only BC she needs for probably the next 10 years or more for recreational diving as it will grow with her and even if she doubles or triples in size, the only thing that will need replaced costs about $12. Everything else can be re-used.

All BCD's do not dive the same way. I have experience (own) a SP Classic (life is good) and a Knighthawk (Ladyhawk in your case) -gateway to a backplate. One is back inflate, the other is definitely not. Such is my experience, other manufacturers may suit your intended diver better, or not.

No judgement here, you are about to pay some serious money so find an informed sales person. They exist.

A gift certificate wrong shop wrong brand unavailable no refund buy junk how impersonal what a mess

A good shop that carries and is experienced with all three types and preferably rents all three so she can pick the one she likes best.

I'm not saying 'avoided,' but if you look at the ScubaPro Hydros back-inflate system, do some searching on here for complaints about the shoulder strap - I don't recall exactly what piece is allegedly prone to tear, but I've read enough people complaining about it that I was put off from being one a few years back.

There is a lot to be said for BP/W, if you're willing to make the choices involved (e.g.: steel, aluminum or 'other' BP material), and you get someone who knows what they're doing to thread the webbing through it (or you're willing to DIY based on watching YouTube videos or some such?). I saw one online vendor who offered to do that for a fee.

If you go with a traditional jacket style BCD, I'd suggest a few basic things:

1.) Get weight-integrated. If she has one and wants to use a weight belt, she can. If she has one that's not, she has to use a weight belt.

2.) Get one with 2 cam bands, not one.

3.) When I used a jacket style BCD, I came to value the rear trim pockets on the back. Yes, you can buy add-on pockets to put on the cam bands, and having pockets built-in to the BCD was nice.

4.) Some Zeagles (at least as of a few years ago when I was looking into it) used a rip cord system for securing and releasing integrated weights. Some people valued that; I didn't like the idea of needing to rethread them, but if you think they sound more secure than plastic clips, it's something to think about.

5.) You may want to at least consider some back inflate options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom