BCD Inflating On Its Own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack and tursiops,

Sorry, I see now,

I never even thought about a schrader valve being in the inflator hose quick connect and I assumed the DGX inflator used a schrader valve.

boat
I just looked at the DGX site, and it looks like their inflators (as expected) are the common 45° "K" inflator. The entire button and stem can be quickly swapped out on site and serviced later, but no Schrader valves are in that design.

Curious if you have a photo of that Seaquest inflator. Aqualung bought Seaquest quite a while ago, and their Powerline inflator has been used for some time starting back before they changed the branding from Seaquest to Aqualung. Powerline does use a Schrader valve, one that is larger than the QD hose valve, and dates back at least 15+ years, perhaps much longer.

IMG_20190720_192757.jpg IMG_20190720_192831.jpg not the best pics

This was probably bought new in 1983 or 4

View attachment 530300 View attachment 530301 not the best pics

This was probably bought new in 1983 or 4
Okay, I have seen one or two of those in the past, but have not been inside one to see what the internals are like. I also don't have any documentation from AL on that one either.

I just looked at the DGX site, and it looks like their inflators (as expected) are the common 45° "K" inflator. The entire button and stem can be quickly swapped out on site and serviced later, but no Schrader valves are in that design.

Curious if you have a photo of that Seaquest inflator. Aqualung bought Seaquest quite a while ago, and their Powerline inflator has been used for some time starting back before they changed the branding from Seaquest to Aqualung. Powerline does use a Schrader valve, one that is larger than the QD hose valve, and dates back at least 15+ years, perhaps much longer.
My bad. I should have said "Schrader-like" valve instead of "Schrader" valve....it has the same function but is not a Schrader. It is just two 006 o-rings on a spring-loaded spool in the valve cartridge, the part that you push to let air into the BCD. Good video on the full repair:

Okay, I have seen one or two of those in the past, but have not been inside one to see what the internals are like. I also don't have any documentation from AL on that one either.

I'm looking it over and don't see a way to disassemble it to get a good look at the internals that doesn't involve a big hammer.

I'm looking it over and don't see a way to disassemble it to get a good look at the internals that doesn't involve a big hammer.
Unscrew the button and you should see a spinner nut. These aren’t worth the effort beyond learning how the work.

IMG_20190723_195223.jpg IMG_20190723_195338.jpg IMG_20190723_195154.jpg IMG_20190723_195234.jpgThe inside donut there is a chubby o-ring. And there was a spring on the end that I left out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom