BCD optimal servicing recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreyTop

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:(I recently sold a 5 year old BCD that had last been serviced 3 years earlier. I had put about 40 dives on it since I obtained it two years ago. Used in saltwater, mostly. Rinsed in fresh water after each use. I had last used it in fresh water mid July, then sold it through the scubaboard site to a fellow in New York. I had no concerns about its functionality. Mailed it to him from Toronto two weeks after diving. Cost 65$ C to ship it. It performed fine for me, through the summer. He now wants to send it back to me.

He complained on receipt and use that the remote dump valve was leaking, and that the low pressure line to the power inflator leaked. He states that he rinsed the latter vigorously, and that it then worked well enough, but that he was disappointed that he had a persisting leak from the dump valve. I get the sense that he is new at this game, and is second guessing the issues. He expresses a reluctance to now pay a technician to have a look at it.

Couple questions: 1. I sold this in good faith but had not serviced it for 3 years. Would any of you buy such a bcd and not have it serviced on receipt before starting to use it? Have it given a good look over by a qualified technician?

2. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to optimum frequency of servicing BCD. Seems to be that yearly would be optimum, and that some might go to every 2 or 3 years. Perhaps yearly for regulator?

I am a 69 year old newbie at this recreational sport, and learning.

Appreciate comments.
sad.gif

If I'm you, I'd ask for videos showing the failures. Pressurize and dunk it in a water tank and shoot a video. If they are genuine failures, I'd deduct the price of a new hose and dump valve from the sale price, or 50/50 if he's agreeable, fair enough since he's buying used but getting new parts.

Dump valves are easy enough to unscrew and clean of any salt crystals, and checking for deformed/corroded springs. If it can be cleaned and made to work again, good. If not, throw in a new dump valve, I don't think they cost a lot.

Same for the hose. Swap with a known working hose, if it fixes the problem, buy him a new one.

If all doesn't work, send it back, refund him the money, get it fixed locally and then sell it again for a slightly higher price for the new parts.

The nipple on the inflator is probably loose and needs to be screwed down. If not it is probably tiny bubbles from the inflator connector on the hose.. which i would ignore.

As for the OP valve leaking, he should disaasemble it, clean it and screw it back down.

There is really nothing to service on a BC. If the inflator works and it holds air it is good to go. If I buy a used wing I always inflate it and check if it holds air overnight and check that the inflator works. When I buy used gear I expect it to work unless clearly stated that it doesn't.

If I sell used gear I always check that it works before listing it. If it takes a long while to sell I check it again before shipping.

The question is does the buyer have a valid complaint or a case of buyer's remorse?

Reactions: RJP
caveat emptor

I only service my (our) BCDs when there is a problem. But I do put then through a long soak after SW use and frequent inspections.

Leaks are a problem and need to be fixed. Dump valves are not expensive to repair (new seal) or replace. Hose leak needs some qualified troubleshooting and repair. (Hose may be fine and the problem lies with the LPI nipple.)

With shipping costs so high, I suggest you contact an authorized dealer in the buyer's area and arrange for inspection and repair.

Used gear should be tested and fully functional at the time of sale unless otherwise noted.

Reactions: RJP
A self-inflated power inflator is dangerous. Clean it or replace it with a new one($15.00).

---------- Post added August 27th, 2015 at 12:45 PM ----------

He complained on receipt and use that the remote dump valve was leaking, and that the low pressure line to the power inflator leaked.
Both issues are easy to fix.
Did you include the power inflator hose? Because if you didn't then it could well be the "buyer" inflator hose need to be look at.

Used gear should be tested and fully functional at the time of sale unless otherwise noted.

this.JPG

All of the simple checks and fixes that folks are suggesting that the buyer perform... should have been done before the seller listed the BCD for sale.

Caveat vedit!

A possibility that has not been mentioned about a low pressure hose leaking at the inflator is the o-ring in the QD coupling is damaged or worn allowing a leak.

The question is does the buyer have a valid complaint or a case of buyer's remorse?
The eye of the beholder: I've returned items that, in my opinion, were "not as advertised". There were sellers who disagreed. I expect their answer would've been "buyer's remorse" while mine was "failure to provide a complete and accurate description".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom