BCD optimal servicing recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The eye of the beholder: I've returned items that, in my opinion, were "not as advertised". There were sellers who disagreed. I expect their answer would've been "buyer's remorse" while mine was "failure to provide a complete and accurate description".

It is not really in "the eye of the beholder". If you are buying scuba gear either on SB or eBay it should work unless noted. If it doesn't then you have a valid complaint. If it is a cosmetic issue that was evident in the photo that you missed then that is on you. If it was something concealed by the seller then that is on him.

I never had a problem selling anything on eBay because I take many photos at all angles. Like I mentioned before I always check if it works and note if it doesn't.

I never had a problem selling anything on eBay because I take many photos at all angles. Like I mentioned before I always check if it works and note if it doesn't.
I don't have problems buying things on eBay (anymore) because I only buy when returns are available, the policy is spelled out, and I always factor in the cost of return shipping (and "restocking" or whatever). $65 shipping cost would very likely be a deal breaker for me -- on either side of the deal.

q2) how often to service a bcd?
if you treat it properly the answer is only when something breaks.

my first bcd went about 18 years with no sevice (the bladder finally wore through) my current bcd is over 7 years old with no service. all saltwater dives, rinsed thoroughly after every trip.

He complained on receipt and use that the remote dump valve was leaking, and that the low pressure line to the power inflator leaked. He states that he rinsed the latter vigorously, and that it then worked well enough, but that he was disappointed that he had a persisting leak from the dump valve. . . . . He expresses a reluctance to now pay a technician to have a look at it.
Can't say that I blame him for his 'reluctance'. I would be reluctant as well. If I pay for a BCD, I expect it to be leak-free, UNLESS the seller's listing said otherwise.
Would any of you buy such a bcd and not have it serviced on receipt before starting to use it? Have it given a good look over by a qualified technician?
I would expect it to be fully functional, without leaks of any kind, upon receipt, OR that the listing would specify any leaks / deficits. I would NOT expect to have to pay to have a problem repaired after I had purchased it. If I chose to have it 'serviced' after I bought it, as a precaution, that would be my decision, and my financial responsibility.

What you should have done BEFORE posting it for sale (definitely before delivering it to the buyer): a) Assemble the unit (attach the BCD to a regulator / cylinder; 2) b) fully inflate the BCD. then submerge it to check for leaks, at all connection points, and at all dump / overpressure valves, and from the bladder itself; c) remove from the water, and disassemble the unit, but leave the bladder fully inflated overnight, to see if it lost air over an extended period. That way you would have known if there was a problem or not, and could have alerted potential buyers in your listing. As it stands now, it appears from your comments that you can't verify that these problems were not present when you shipped it. The buyer has already done more than his fair share (rinsing), and may feel he has bought a lemon.

In reality, the problem with the leaking dump valve may be something very simple, and merely unscrewing it and wiping the surface of the hard seat and the rubber diaphragm might well address the leak. But, you cannot expect him to go through with the sale at this point. You might suggest he unscrew the dump valve cover and check for some grit on the rubber diaphragm or the seat. But, I wouldn't be surprised if he just wants to wash his hands of the deal at this point. Basically, you're stuck if he wants to call the deal off.
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to optimum frequency of servicing BCD. Seems to be that yearly would be optimum, and that some might go to every 2 or 3 years. Perhaps yearly for regulator?
I only 'service' mine when I have a problem. But, I fully expect to have to periodically replace O rings in the inflator valve, and to clean the dump valve, and replace tie-wraps, if that is what are used to attach the power inflator to the corrugated hose. That is infrequent (maybe every 4-5 years, if that often) but I expect to have to do those things sooner or later. Regulators are another matter, entirely.

Basically, you're stuck if he wants to call the deal off.

Actually not really. It seems GreyTop's only post is the one he made to start the tread. If he sold the BC through Scubaboard then he should have more than one post. This makes me think he has more than one ID. So he can just start another ID and move on.

The buyer could try to do a charge back with Paypal but that is unlikely to succeed. Paypal does not get into issues on condition. I remember a post on SB or TDS years ago, where a person purchased a very slightly used Halcyon Eclipse system. The item looked like new in the photos but the person received a very beat system. The buyer was stuck because all that Paypal "guarantees" is the receipt of the item.

I have bought used equipment from SB and sold equipment on SB. However, SB does not offer the same protection as eBay. Because of that, you really need trust the seller. I would not trust buying something from someone new to the board or even from a more established member that just pops in every so often to sell gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom