BCD Size (Mares Origin)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thedutch

Reaction score
I just bought my gear mostly Mares, and I have a question about my BCD (Mares Origin). When I was in the store I tried on my BCD and they told me that a small would be the best. Now the thing is I'm 6'2 and weigh 177 pounds. When I looked through the manual afterwards, the Small BCD is said to be for people less than 5'8 and less than 154 pounds. I also tried the medium but it had a little more space at the back of my shoulders. I fit both but they recommended the small. What should I do, change it for a medium or keep it???
Thanks so much

The Dutch

Hey Dutch, you got your gear already? I guess they gave you the sale price just so you won't need to go to the store on saturday or sunday...:rofl3::rofl3: Apparently, it can be pretty hellish there!!!!

How does the BCD feel, when you have a tank on it and are wearing your wetsuit? It should be snug, but not tight once the straps are adjusted.

Just for comparison, I am 6' and 180-190 lbs (depending on my physical state) and I use a Medium. But my medium fits well only once I tighten all the straps completely (or almost). So really, I would need a size between small and medium... Mares BCDs are built big, and judging by your size, I'm not surprised they gave you a small (I'm pretty stalky).

My first guess would be that that's OK for you, but you have to be the judge of that and how you feel in it!

Phil, Zak or anybody else have an oppinion on this?

Hope this helps a bit!:coffee:

Hi Dutch,
Well Codman offers some good feedback. Ultimately I think it is pretty hard to judge from the internet, especially since it sounds awfully close. The information re: sizing is strictly a range and is not written in stone. Everyone is shaped differently so it is written to merely be a suggested range. The one thing you do compromise is apprx 2lbs of lift/floatation. If this is not a concern and the small fits with the rest of your equipment on, then I do not see a problem. If not then jump to the Med. CPAS is a great Mares dealer, very knowedgeable about our products and on site they will know best.

Hope this helps and thanks for buying Mares!

Best regards,

Hey,

I am 191cm (6'3) and 83kg (183#), wearing levis size 34" waist 36" inseam and I got the Mares Icon size M. I also have to tighten up almost all the way when wearing a 3 or 5mm suit but I appreciate the extra adjustability once I gear up for colder water with my 5mm steamer + 7mm shorty.

AJ

Thanks guys, this really helped a lot! I have changed it for a Medium because most of my diving will be done with a 7mm wetsuit under it so a small wouldn't have made it. I used my gear on saturday and it was alright. Thanks everybody!!
The Dutch

I'm 6'0, 210, and my large Mares BCD fits me perfectly. It tightens down just fine so that nothing is unsecure, yet I have the added benefit of being able to open up the shoulder straps a little more so that its easier to slide in/out of.

I find Mares BCDs' run on the large size.

Back
Top Bottom