BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mares makes the AirTrim System that uses a button control set-up.....Mares - stand for diving....... I owned one of these several years back and it was actually very functional and worked very well. I don't know about the newer Mares products with the AirTrim,,,,but I actually liked the one I had. Not sure how a 'lever' would work.

The Mares airtrim system has worked very well for me. Several of us tried like hell to make it "fail", and we never could. It takes some getting used to, but I like it.
I would assume that the aqualung is similar, but I'd question their explanation of how it works - the marketing seems a bit misleading.

Can't think of the name of the company that is producing the BC's but the BC's have this little red lever (left side of BC). The ad says: "To descend, just push the lever down. To ascend, lift the lever up.". Now this goes against everything we've been taught in Open Water class. Namely: "do not use your inflater to descend or ascend."
Was I out to lunch when the rules were changed?

Any comments on this new "buoyancy device"?

It sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
It also adds one more unique piece to the dive safety equation.
In an emergency situation this is never a good thing.

I wouldn't own one.

A hint:

If a piece of diving equipment has 'Pro', 'Tec' or 'Extreme' in it’s name, it isn't any of these things...

I wonder if an octopus was a wierd gimmicky thing once upon a time!

As a matter of fact... it actually was, in a sense, as all of the certifying agencies taught buddy-breathing at the time (early and mid-70's), and few even had octopii (safe seconds:eyebrow:) at the time

The I3 does have an oral inflate system.

From the Aqualung site:

"...(t)he oral inflator is easy to deploy and use. It can easily be removed to provide a access port should you ever need to rinse the inside of your BC..."

Using the lever, or any air inflate/dump valve, as an "e'evator" button ("lift" button for our Oz contingent) is an accident waiting to happen. The lever action on the I3 is designed to control all three dump valves at once. I've seen many new divers/students having difficulty dumping air from their BC because they couldn't find where the pocket was trapped.

Hitting the lever on the I3 in any orientation will allow the trpped air out through whatever valve the bubble is next to.

The I3 can even be set up with a second source air supply through the dump valve.

I remember when BCs were considered a gimic.

Ian

A hint:

If a piece of diving equipment has 'Pro', 'Tec' or 'Extreme' in it’s name, it isn't any of these things...

Hey that pretty silly, but not always true.....:wink:

The I3 does have an oral inflate system.

From the Aqualung site:

"...(t)he oral inflator is easy to deploy and use. It can easily be removed to provide a access port should you ever need to rinse the inside of your BC..."

Using the lever, or any air inflate/dump valve, as an "e'evator" button ("lift" button for our Oz contingent) is an accident waiting to happen. The lever action on the I3 is designed to control all three dump valves at once. I've seen many new divers/students having difficulty dumping air from their BC because they couldn't find where the pocket was trapped.

Hitting the lever on the I3 in any orientation will allow the trpped air out through whatever valve the bubble is next to.

The I3 can even be set up with a second source air supply through the dump valve.

Ian

So when you move the lever to the "go up" position what actually happens with the BCD that causes the diver to ascend? I hope it doesn't add air to the vest.

Ian
IMO...
I have so often noted that folks who judge a product...in most cases have never used it....this I am sure is the case with many of the negatives on this thread...very typical, not smart or right, but typical. I have never used the OP's questioned bc system....I do question the said companies advertising (Elevator Lever)--it does sound out of line to all us divers...but probably as in so many promotional pieces by companies...its written by someone whom has no clue--lol. The fact is its a simple mechanical devise placed in an easy to reach location that in the case of the Mares product does work and poses no safety issues in its use for typical recreational diving. I would be curious to hear from someone whom has actually used the 'Elevator Lever' model to get their impressions. The lever sounds like not a smart idea if it inflates the bc....on the Mares you have to make a def. effort to push a button that is positioned not to be accidentally depressed. I am curious to what this lever does..?

Back
Top Bottom