BC's with "Elevator" Lever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/205585-seaquest-pro-qd-i3-evaluation.html

mikeguerrero really likes his a lot the last time I heard from him about it. I'm personally concerned about safety with the lever catching on something, especially if you do penetration at all, as Steve pointed out.

I also brought up, when he was looking at purchasing it, the issue of safety regarding your buddy not knowing how it works. I know you can tell and show the people your diving with how it works. But when you're in an emergency situation, as a buddy, I'm going to be looking for things where I'm used to finding them ie. weight belt, weight pockets, inflator hose, etc. That can be vital seconds lost in certain situations.

I don't know, that's just me though. I hear they work really well as far as inflate/deflate control. I have never dived one before, so no comment on that. :)

I'm also the owner of an i3 and what else can I say that hasn't already been stated, she is just an incredible BC? Just take a look at how streamlined she can be:

7wtl7vm.jpg

879gkeg.jpg

8axxhtg.jpg

71wd25z.jpg

71oafix.jpg

I'm also the owner of an i3 and what else can I say that hasn't already been stated, she is just an incredible BC? Just take a look at how streamlined she can be:
879gkeg.jpg

Wow, I hadn't realized it came with a seat. What's that bigger-than-your-head-thing hanging off of your head?

Wow, I hadn't realized it came with a seat. What's that bigger-than-your-head-thing hanging off of your head?

Not any more hairy than the fur off of your hands, wow talk about teen wolf, be sure to hide your hands before you take pictures of that pony gauge... :mooner:

- the BCD has a oral inflator system, hidden in a shoulder pouch. It is a fragile hose, with a mouthpiece that needs to be pushed over your teeth in order to open the airway. But you really don't need it.
- If you hate the oral inflator, you may always replace it with a standard inflator. By doing this, you will have both the i3 and a standard inflating system, both connected to the same BCD - so you could use any of them (as you like). This solves all your doubts, related to safety during dives.

I thought the entire purpose of the oral inflater was for an "out of air situation" where you are at the surface and need to inflate your BC so that you relax while either swimming back to shore or waiting for the boat to come get you, thus expending less energy trying to keep your head above water with an empty BC. At least that was what I was taught...

...she is just an incredible BC. Just take a look at how streamlined she can be...

Compared to what exactly?

:D

PS - you could streamline it a bit further by removing the "suicide clip" from the left shoulder d-ring. And, do you need the octo-holder clip or whatever that is on the right pocket d-ring If the octo is stashed away in the i3's octo-pocket?

Looking at the position of the lever (outside the jacket), its just asking to get knocked on a rock, wreck and so on either causing uncontrolled descent or a polaris impression.

If you came that close to some object, maybe you have some other problem already :) The lever is somehow under the weights pocket (which is enough swollen to protect it).

The standard inflator is much more unprotected (and it is like saying that if you are going close to a wall, you might push the inflator's button). You could also cut the inflator hose. You might entangle the hose to something. But then, you feel no problem about these issues, because you are used to them.

Looking at the position of the lever (outside the jacket), its just asking to get knocked on a rock, wreck and so on either causing uncontrolled descent or a polaris impression.

If you came that close to some object, maybe you have some other problem already :) The lever is somehow under the weights pocket (which is enough swollen to protect it).

Kelp.
Squeezing through holes in rocks or wrecks.

Those are the things here that snag on anything and everything.

The standard inflator is much more unprotected (and it is like saying that if you are going close to a wall, you might push the inflator's button).

Far harder if the hose is properly stowed tight to the strap. A button facing inwards to the diver tight to his upper chest is far less likely to get activated than a lever facing outwards on the outside of the kit.

You could also cut the inflator hose. You might entangle the hose to something. But then, you feel no problem about these issues, because you are used to them.

Not used to them - the kit is set up so it cant happen. My inflater is bungeed securely to my harness strap - its not going anywhere to get cut or tangled. Kelp isn't sharp.

Kelp.
Squeezing through holes in rocks or wrecks.

Those are the things here that snag on anything and everything.

I would hope that a diver wearing a bc as the one pictured above would not be engaged in 'squeezing' through rocks or holes on wrecks not large enough to drive a bus through....but there are folks out there that do some crazies at times. :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom