BE carefull

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spike627

Reaction score
I have gone to a Dive Store in Broward,Florida called AMERICAN DIVE CENTER , me and my wife were there to start a open water dive course. but first you have to buy almost all your gear and you get the class for $99.00 witch is a rip off because there gear is 4 times higher then any other LDS . While in class my wife got sick , they made us pay $179.00 she could not slip into a different class to make up a pool session. She try a wetsuit , the lady told her was fine and next day we try to return it without using it and she was a different person would not give our money back. ANy one here in florida in Broward Do Not Go there they are a rip off they charge $7.50 to fill a tank . You go on Coral Reef on University Ave , they charge you $3.50 I only go to Coral Reef now they are the best. any body could contact me for any question I'm trying to file a report to the Better Business Bureau

Spike

Was it a PADI center? If so did they provide to you and have you sign the student/instructor learning agreement?

If not sent a complaint to PADI and they will contact them and demand a reason behind the things that happened to you.

It is normal for a lot of dive shops to want you to buy your own mask, fin and snorkel, but that should be discussed up front and everything should be covered.

Also sounds like one of those "if the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is" Good luck for the issue, I hope you get resolution.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Spike

Was it a PADI center? If so did they provide to you and have you sign the student/instructor learning agreement?
PADI, SSI, NAUI It does not matter I would be onto the Agency body quick smart with what they put you through, this kind of thing just sux.

Even if it's in the "fine print", you felt mislead - this sort of questionable practice is what leads to new divers dropping out of the sport. Contact PADI and calmly explain the situation, and why you feel that you were mislead.

PADI can't do much about the wetsuit issue, but they can certainly act on the certification issue if you've completed the course.

Is this the website for the dive place you were talking about?

I would wonder why any place that would offer an Online Basic Open Water Course would have anything wrong with it. I mean, heck, how could you go wrong? You don't even have to get in the water!

:drain:

Dr. Jay once bubbled...

I would wonder why any place that would offer an Online Basic Open Water Course would have anything wrong with it. I mean, heck, how could you go wrong? You don't even have to get in the water!

:drain:

Actually, its a supplement...not a course...You do have to get wet to get certified...according to the website.

Yep, I know of one store where I live that did that once. But..it really was a good deal and the store owner lost alot of money befor he found how to make money.

Offer the $ 99 course and charge for every last thing you require.

We had (note had) another store that charged $400 for the course but.. You HAD to buy a wetsuit or drysuit befor your check out dives. Check out dives were $80 per dive.

I have not gotten my shop off the ground yet and have not decided on pricing.

I want to be fair but also to make a little profit.

Ron Brandt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom