Be weary of seven gill sharks !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I believed the crap that is featured on "Shark Week," I'd never go in the water.

Had an encounter with a sixgill just last weekend. Around here that's the "holy grail" of marine life sightings. This one was about eight feet long. Darn thing swam right up to us as we were photographing warbonnets at about 110 feet. Unfortunately I had a lens on the camera more appropriate for smaller subjects (18-55) ... I was able to back away far enough to get about half the fish in the photo ...

11722632_459591174221246_583283037980968289_o.jpg

Sharks are not generally aggressive ... unless you give them a reason to be ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, or one could have a nagging wife making him do construction on his Sunday off and he's just looking for an excuse to take frustration and anger out.....

My wife is my better half, sometimes I can get lazy on my Sundays and not want to get things done that I need to around the house.

I merely saw that episode and thought it was interesting point to bring up. This oceanography student I believe was lucky not to have been bitten. She perceived these sharks as did I on not really posing any threat. It is something that I thought we should be mindful of,
and although the chances are slim I rather make some aware of this.

This is so funny. What I saw is a guy found a random shark, poked a sharp pole into a shark's mouse. The shark got agitated and showed a little aggressive behavior. Considering it is a large size wild animal, it really isn't really that aggressive. For the same action, a pit bull would have mauled you to death. If you are with the wrong skin colors and try it on a human cop, you will be 100% shot death before your pole even come close

You won't find me poking a shark - or a bear or even a dog - with a stick. Why wouldn't they identify the poking person (or species) as a threat and bite them?

Well because sharks aren't dogs or bears of course.

I've yet to ever witness any shark "get angry". I've seen plenty of sharks pushed, prodded, bashed, poked, slapped and hard punched in the "face" and have yet to ever see a shark get or act "angry" as a result. After being punched or prodded or slapped, I've only seen them take off, hang around but keep a distance, turn away but within seconds just come on back and do again what they did to get swatted, and finally I've seen them totally ignore the contact and keep doing what they are doing which is sniffing for a meal, but I've never witnessed any shark get angry or retaliate ever.

I can't recall an angry shark, a luvy duvy shark, a devious shark, a sly one or any other type, the only thing I see are sharks who's entire life is centered on motivation, and that is eating, and every behavior they exhibit revolves around just sniffing for a meal. The only human behavior I would attach to a shark is "curious" or "exploring", or
"investigative."

---------- Post added July 13th, 2015 at 04:04 PM ----------

There was a seen on a previous dive on this remote location in New Zealand, that showed a seven gill trying to bite the female diver (oceanography student). It kind of hard to dispute this as Hollywood hype, don't you think?

Here take a good look and judge for yourself.

[video]http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/8197587/Shark-grabs-diver-by-the-head[/video]

Are you watching these upside down in a mirror or something?? LOL

"A marine biology student bitten on the head by a shark while diving in Fiordland escaped its clutches only when her dive buddy punched it."

I only saw a shark docily swimming around very leisurely and calmly, he found something curious about the divers shiny valve on his tank and calmly mouthed it.

The shark certainly didn't bite anyone on the head, it didn't bite anyone, nobody punched it, and nobody escaped the shark's 'clutches'.

Do you have a fear of sharks? You seem to be misinterpreting the content of every video you are posting.

Aggressive sharks exhibit some typical behavior, they arch their backs, they lower their pectoral fins and most easily recognizable, they will be swimming around fast. An aggressive shark swims fast, on a direct course at it's prey, the incident will happen lightning quick with almost no time to react by the victim, sharks swimming slowly, methodically and leisurely is not indicative of dangerous behavior, that's just curious and calm. Every video you've posted has shown non-aggressive shark behavior, nothing but curious sharks leisurely swimming about. The first time you personally witness sharks being aggressive you'll not forget it, that's when you crap your wetsuit, these videos don't display any aggressive sharks yet.

Last edited:
This woman is about as reliable as the Shark Week documentaries....
[video]https://video-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xft1/v/t43.1792-2/11535523_10207197793244860_1460148615_n.mp4?efg=ey JybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6MTE0M30%3D&rl=1500&vabr=441& oh=6cc77f49cc47bbc8237f137de35b0220&oe=55A48DA9[/video]

Well because sharks aren't dogs or bears of course.

I've yet to ever witness any shark "get angry". I've seen plenty of sharks pushed, prodded, bashed, poked, slapped and hard punched in the "face" and have yet to ever see a shark get or act "angry" as a result. After being punched or prodded or slapped, I've only seen them take off, hang around but keep a distance, turn away but within seconds just come on back and do again what they did to get swatted, and finally I've seen them totally ignore the contact and keep doing what they are doing which is sniffing for a meal, but I've never witnessed any shark get angry or retaliate ever.

I can't recall an angry shark, a luvy duvy shark, a devious shark, a sly one or any other type, the only thing I see are sharks who's entire life is centered on motivation, and that is eating, and every behavior they exhibit revolves around just sniffing for a meal. The only human behavior I would attach to a shark is "curious" or "exploring", or
"investigative."

---------- Post added July 13th, 2015 at 04:04 PM ----------

Are you watching these upside down in a mirror or something?? LOL

"
A marine biology student bitten on the head by a shark while diving in Fiordland escaped its clutches only when her dive buddy punched it."

I actually really enjoy seeing most of the common sharks in our area. Fear is not really a factor for me, I really enjoy going on night dives as well and seeing these animals.Perhaps you are misinterpreting my intention.

I hope that you can understand that I am going by the statements the oceanography student Oliver who made to the NZ press. I am just posting what I believed was an actual incident that had occurred.

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

We dive in the kelp forests of Simon's Town where the 7-Gill Cow Sharks breed.
You normally encounter hundreds of them on a dive and they come close enough for you to touch them with your elbows. I personally find them to be reasonably calm.

I am more scared of the raggies, whites, tigers and bull sharks we find in our waters around the south coast of Africa...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon's_Town

View attachment cowshark.jpg

I thought that if you split your fins you can swim twice as fast?? It is like having 2 fins on each foot...
Can I spit my Jet Fins with a scissor? :D

How about a SP Nova split fin hybrid? There's a good idea for R&D...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom