Beach vs. Boat Diving

What percentage of your dives in the last 12 months have been from a beach?

• none

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • 0 < beach % <= 25

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • 25 < beach % <= 50

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • 50 < beach % <= 75

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • 75 < beach % < 100

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • all

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaphile

Registered
Reaction score
This was a question posted on a local board. It got quite a response. I'm curious about the general diving population:

Of your dives in the last 12 months, what percentage of your dives has been from a beach (as opposed to from a boat)? (not counting training/in-class dives, just talking about pleasure diving)

If you don't do any beach diving, why not?

I may be skewing the result a little. I am obliged to make more beach entries because my 'home' dive site is an inland quarry. While I might prefer the more exciting diving offered off a boat, the opportunities do not regularly present themselves.

But I am hoping to rectify this situation in due course!!!

MN

I am starting to do more boat dives, but beach diving is cheap & requires less pre-planning. If I had to pay for boats every time I went out, I would not be a very active diver.

Boat dives definitely, for lots of reasons:

-No wave action throwing you about when you enter/leave the water
-No sand stuck over all your gear
-Generally better viz off a boat
-Bigger more interesting fauna
-Less energy expended swimming out to a dive spot, you jump off the boat and you're there.
-Greater number and variety of accessible dive spots when on a boat
-If there's a compressor aboard then you only need 1 tank

Hmmm... anyone please feel free to add to the list.

We've had two tropical vacations this winter where all our dives were boat dives. For a number of reasons, we haven't had much time for local (beach) diving this spring / early summer, and are headed to Wreckmania this weekend - all boat dives.

Happy Diving (from whatever platform!),

Scuba-sass :)

So many great shore dives on Cape Anne in Ma so I have no great desire to pay $50-60 for a boat ride. I had to vote for the 25-50% because of the 12 month time frame. Any time my wife and I travel we always schedule boat dives.
If I had my own boat or access to one then I am sure I would be doing a lot more boat dives locally (any one interested in taking me out on their boat?).

Being that I live in Central Wisconsin and dive mainly inland lakes and quarries, I don't really have a need for a boat. However, I do have to say that I prefer diving from a boat. No sand in your gear, you go straight down to see what you want to see, and it's just a blast being on a boat out in the water. I've made two trips to the Great Lakes to go shipwreck diving now and I can't wait for the next trip next month.

While I do have fun diving from a boat, many of the more spectacular dives I have had are from shore - diving an old abandoned pier on the shore of Lake Superior, swimming through an underwater forest in Lake Wazee...all from shore, and all a blast =) And it doesn't take too much effort to rinse the sand from your gear either :)

Beach diving is great value provided there's something to see. In Thailand the beach we stayed on (Kata) had a little headland separating it from the next beach. There was a lot of life on that reef - moray, rays, octopus, bat fish, pipefish. Best of all was the routine: 10.00am -get off lounger and walk to dive shop - 75 yards - pick up gear and walk back to beach - 75 yards - kit up and walk to sea - 25 yards - dive for 50-60 minutes - repeat exercise in reverse then order beer from waiter - 2.00pm repeat.

If you really wanted to extend it you could dive 5 minutes away by long tail which would add around 15 minutes total to the exercise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom