Beating the elements.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigken462

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy, hope all you scuba-boarders are having a good morning. All is good tonight at work with only a cpl calls so far for minor emergencies. More or less just killing time.

In years past my diving usually tapered off during the winter months where I then elected to occupy the tree stand. Now having more regular dive buddies, I’m planning on being more active this winter with diving and trying to find a better way to provide some exposure protection to the wind and rain.

Typically I’ve always just used a pop up canopy in the summer, but wondering now how these side walls , or these would perform for winter duties. I was hoping some of the winter divers could chime in and give some ideas on how they go about beating the elements. I think the second link is a bit cheaper since it must lack a zipper entry.

Worst case, I can simply take refuge in the dive trailer, but was hoping that between adding some side walls to the pop up, and then a good propane heater to break the chill inside would do the trick. Please take a peek at the links and tell me what you think would be some good ideas.

Thanks,

Kenny

I would go with the non zipup walls if you want to save some money. It's a pretty big price difference for just a zipper. What you could do is take one of the 4 walls out on the side facing away from the wind, or cut a flap in it, add a zipper, whatever to make essentially the same thing as the other for quite a bit less.

I would probably have the 4th wall split down the middle for entry and sew a couple strips of fabric into the material on each side of the split, then just tie them off to close it. Not as sealed up as a zipper, but would definitely keep the majority of the heat in your enclosure. also if you had enough overlap it would actually keep in more heat than a zippered version and be easier to "home-make"

Also be careful with the heater, those walls look like they melt quite nice :wink:

Thanks,

After looking at the website for those heaters I kinda got to thinking how one of these convection heaters would work with just placing under our pop up to sit around and warm up to w/o the walls. Would almost be as good as a campfire. Lol. One way or the other though, I would like to find a easy way to block with wind.

Setting the pop up, tarps, chairs, tables etc looks like it would take along time, but in reality it's only maybe a 10 minute job from start to finish. Not to sure how adding those walls would be. One things for sure though, at the end of the day, it sucks taking down everything - even if its just another 10 minutes. Lol.

It always amazes me of the folks who are dedicated to diving to freeze their butts off on a tailgate changing into and out of dive gear. brrrrrrrrrr, those days or long gone. I gots to keep the timbers warm or the bones start to hurt.

Dive safe,

Kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom