Beaufort, NC Papoose report 11/23/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewdive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well this was my first ocean dive and it was a great one. Dove with Discovery Divers and they were great. 2-3 foot seas, slow current. Water temp was 73F on surface and about 68F at depth. Vis was between 70-80ft. It was a little chilly on the boat ride out and in between dives but once we got into the water it was great and no one got sick on the boat which was even better!!
Huge schools of baitfish, large amberjack, barracuda, lionfish, angels, wrasse, grouper and of course sand sharks. Also saw two huge sea turtles. Couldn't tell what species though. Collected a few shark teeth as I skimmed the surface of the the ship enjoying frogfish, jawfish, slugs and gobys. I'm not sure but I could have sworn I saw a few scorpionfish but I'm not sure. All in all it was a great trip and a great experience as I've only done fresh water dives. A great day with great conditions and a good start on my AOW. Just wish I had packed an extra long sleeve shirt for the boat ride back. Other than that, it was one of the best experiences of my life and I'm officially hooked on diving. :D

you didnt find my weight belt I dropped there 10 years ago did you ? : )

Glad you enjoyed it. The Papoose is great. The diving always seems better this time of year (especailly if you got a dry suit)! My next trip is in a couple of weeks.

No didn't find your belt, but I'm glad I was near my buddy when hers started falling down her legs. That could have been bad. She stayed calm and we resolved the situation and everything was good after that minor scare. And yeah, a dry suit would have been really nice!!!

Congratulations on your first Salt water dive. The Hutton (formerly known as Papoose) is one of my all time favorites.

AL

Back
Top Bottom