Beaufort, SC, USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Beaufort's near Hilton Head, about an hour south of Charleston, and about an hour north of Savannah, GA.

Lots to announce... Dives happening on the April 4th, 8th, 9th, 12th, 13th, and 27th... And more to come. Come dive with us! Get all the details at http://www.LCscuba.com

See you there!

I spent 3.5 years there before I started diving. Where do you dive down there? I still have a bunch of friends still on MCAS and the next time I visit them I might look you guys up. Underwater is about the only place you can get away from them damn sandfleas!!!

VaJames once bubbled...
I spent 3.5 years there before I started diving. Where do you dive down there?

You know, I get asked that all the time. :D

If there's water, I'm in it. :)

I'm sure you're familiar with the inland, tidal rivers. To call them "murky" would be a dramatic understatement. The summertime boasts 85* temps, but that's when the visibility is the lowest... Literally, I've put my guages against my mask and not been able to see them. But that sort of unfriendliness to divers means that anything lost in these waters goes completely unnoticed... And that includes several Civil War shipwrecks, lots of Revolutionary War shipwrecks, and even the Hunley submarine. The history is literally there for the discovering.

...And that's to say nothing of the incredible fossil finds that make this place world-renowned. Megladon teeth and mammoth vertebre are common.

Still, in search of clear waters, I do most of my local diving offshore. Around five miles offshore, the waters go amazingly clear. 80 foot vis is nothing uncommon, and there's a ton of great wrecks to see there. Still further out (about 20 miles, which is less than an hour's boat ride offshore) there is the Betsy Ross, a whopping 430 feet of retired Liberty Ship just waiting to be dived. Marine life is abundant, too, and it has to be seen to be understood. In fact, the 'Ross is actually in the Gulf Stream, which comes amazingly close to shore here, and breeds a gorgeous tropical underwater environment. As a diver, you're hard pressed to not think you're in the Keys or the Caymans.

I still have a bunch of friends still on MCAS and the next time I visit them I might look you guys up. Underwater is about the only place you can get away from them damn sandfleas!!!

Lol! Yep, that's definitely true... Especially around Parris Island, where they consider the tiny bugs "a part of Marine training." :D

Definitely look us up... We're diving constantly! It has to be seen to be believed...

Lol! Yep, that's definitely true... Especially around Parris Island, where they consider the tiny bugs "a part of Marine training."

Yeah, The Marine Corps played a cruel joke on me there. I was in boot camp from June26-Sept15. I thought I was done and before I knew it they sent me four miles from there at the MCAS permanently. I wasn't a diver then though. My wifes family lives in Greenwood which is about 3 hours away. Next time we are down there I will look you guys up. Thanks.

James

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine and a spontaneous trip to the beach is happening this coming weekend. The rest of the crew are non-divers but I plan on doing something... don't know what, don't know with who.... but I'll be there. SeaJay, already sent you an e-mail but anyone else up for a dive, let me know!

Rachel

P.S. What are the water temps like this time of year? I've only got a 3 mil suit, worried that ain't gonna be enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom