Became extremely sick during dive...Possible bad gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unless you get the air that is left in the tank tested, you will never know
I'd save the tank until my Analox CO analyzer came in, but I know that most wouldn't.

I agree with the CO2 theory. And the fact that you were breathing Nitrox not only doesn't alleviate the CO2, but may aggravate it. There is some evidence that breathing elevated ppO2s allows some people to tolerate higher pCO2s without air hunger.

I did not know that. Or if I did, I've forgotten it. That is great information, thanks!

I do not think it was carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide bonds to the blood making it impossible to transport oxygen to cells. Only the unaffected blood is able to transport the oxygen. Carbon monoxide does NOT degas like "normal" inert compounds in the blood and tissues like nitrogen and helium. A diver whom became sick one day due to carbon monoxide would be unable to dive the next day, they would be in the hospital or at home attempting to recover.

I am not a doctor, just a chemist stating an opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom