Becoming a Dive Captain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerardnealon

Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, please feel free to move it if so.

Besides from the cost of the boat and gas, I am curious how hard / expensive it is to become a dive captian. Will I need a license / insurance / Instructor certified? Anyone know how much insurance is around for something like that. I am looking into buying a boat specifically designed for divers that can hold around 20 divers. I know how expensive it is for divers to dive charter boats all the time, i would like to offer one at a cheaper rate and have a little fun while I am at it. I figure if I am diving on the weekends anyways, why not take a bunch of people with me. Thanks for any info and hints. Not exactly sure where to start researching this.

Gerard

gerardnealon:
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, please feel free to move it if so.

Besides from the cost of the boat and gas, I am curious how hard / expensive it is to become a dive captian. Will I need a license / insurance / Instructor certified?

What Phaethon said...and

If t'were me, I'd probably carry at least a million in ins., but probably more...I carry half a mil now, and I'm not a boatie...

I believe the US Coast Guard licenses commercial US boat captains...

Before you actually do this, I'd strongly suggest you plan this out in a business plan format, see the effort and investment required, and make the plan as pessimistic as possible...

I think you'll find that the folks already running charters are not becoming millionaires...charging less would mean less income/cost avoidance.

Phaethon:
Well, I can't be sure about this, but common sense suggests that the Captain of a boat of that size, carrying paying (even non-profit) customers, cannot dive - he has responsibility for the safety of the boat and picking up divers on the surface (underwater I suspect is the DM/Insrucor's problem). What if he drownded or became shark bait? Who'd take everybody home?

Just a thought.

K.

Thats interesting because around here I see a lot of captain go down while others are doing their surface interval. Plus if I were to do this, I would certainly have helpers on board to assist divers upon exit/entry. Thanks for the input.

Gerard

scubasean:
What Phaethon said...and

If t'were me, I'd probably carry at least a million in ins., but probably more...I carry half a mil now, and I'm not a boatie...

I believe the US Coast Guard licenses commercial US boat captains...

Before you actually do this, I'd strongly suggest you plan this out in a business plan format, see the effort and investment required, and make the plan as pessimistic as possible...

I think you'll find that the folks already running charters are not becoming millionaires...charging less would mean less income/cost avoidance.

I kind of figured the insurance would be very high, i wonder how much something like that would cost. I would never start a business without months of research and business planning, that would be foolish. The way I look at it, sometimes you have to be a little cheaper to open some eyes.

Thanks guys/gals for the good advice and info. I appreciate it.

Gerard

Phaethon:
When we hire cars in the US it's recommended that we carry at least $2 million insurance... not personal insurance but insurance to pay the lawyers of anyone you hit/scratch/scare/cause offence to/look at in the wrong way/breathe near.

Twenty people in a boat, each suing you for a million dollars worth of emotional distress because you referred to their fins as flippers... ==8^O

K.

hahaha, since I am from NY, it would be more like suing me for not having a hot dog stand at the stern. ;-)

6pack license, make sure your very comfortable on the water as the pilot of a motored vessel, design your boat based on experiences and input from others, and dont plan on diving when others are in the water.. someone has to mind the boat. :)

I keep thinking about it since there are so few boats that do that in my area, but sooo many divers. The boats that are here, dont advertise - I'd kick their keisters!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom