Finding my next dive destination - Recommendations on how to find new places

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hailey1234

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking for my next dive destinations that I plan to do in the next few years. I am finding it hard to know where I should go.
I am wondering where everyone finds their new diving destinations, besides word of mouth from close friends.
Do you see it in magazines (if so which ones so I can also start reading :) ), do you google search diving in a specific area, different forums (any specific suggestions)?

There is so much to see and I just want to do my research and have more options.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi all,
I am looking for my next dive destinations that I plan to do in the next few years. I am finding it hard to know where I should go.
I am wondering where everyone finds their new diving destinations, besides word of mouth from close friends.
Do you see it in magazines (if so which ones so I can also start reading :) ), do you google search diving in a specific area, different forums (any specific suggestions)?

There is so much to see and I just want to do my research and have more options.

The magazines are useless. They'll feature whoever buys the ads and never give a negative word about any place for fear of alienating future advertisers.

Google searches aren't any better. They have pretty much lost the fight against SEO spam when it comes to travel questions (and most other things).

This site is your best bet. You can read through the trip reports and the different regional forums. But maybe start by asking right here. The more info you can provide us with, the better the responses will be. For example, what is your experience level? What kind of diving do you like? What's your budget? How long of a vacation do you get? Is there anything you really want to see? What water temps are your OK with? Do topside activities matter to you? If so, what are you looking for?

The magazines are useless. They'll feature whoever buys the ads and never give a negative word about any place for fear of alienating future advertisers.

Google searches aren't any better. They have pretty much lost the fight against SEO spam when it comes to travel questions (and most other things).

This site is your best bet. You can read through the trip reports and the different regional forums. But maybe start by asking right here. The more info you can provide us with, the better the responses will be. For example, what is your experience level? What kind of diving do you like? What's your budget? How long of a vacation do you get? Is there anything you really want to see? What water temps are your OK with? Do topside activities matter to you? If so, what are you looking for?
Thats good to know, so just continue watching these threads.

I have divemaster level certification. I am comfortable with currents. My problem, or not a problem, is I love it all. I love macro and finding the small tiny things, but on the other end I also like the thrill of seeing the bigger things, like mantas and hammerheads :)

I like to just continue to read and hear about new places, so I can put them on my places to go. So I am looking for as many possible places that people tend to go to broaden my search options

Looks like a very nice trip, Dan (and Greg).

Have you been on this boat before?

Reactions: Dan
Thats good to know, so just continue watching these threads.

I have divemaster level certification. I am comfortable with currents. My problem, or not a problem, is I love it all. I love macro and finding the small tiny things, but on the other end I also like the thrill of seeing the bigger things, like mantas and hammerheads :)

I like to just continue to read and hear about new places, so I can put them on my places to go. So I am looking for as many possible places that people tend to go to broaden my search options
Yes, just start working your way through the threads here. You can look in this forum, General Travel & Vacation Discussions, and also in the country/geographic region-specific forums. If you're interested in something specific like "macro" or "hammerheads," you could do a keyword search of SB threads to find out where people are seeing them. Soon you will see patterns in the discussions and trip reports, with the same destination names being mentioned repeatedly, and you will know where other divers have been going.

As someone mentioned above, Undercurrent is another great source of trip reports/reviews.

Hi @Hailey1234

Go to any of the regional forums, click on a trip report icon, and only the trip reports will be shown for your review
1714401704473.png

Hi all,

The first step is usually the hardest, like buying your first car, house etc etc.

How did I start?
1. Find the nearest destination.
2. Magazines can give certain information on places but....can be biased. So beware.
3. Money or time is usually the limiting factor.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom