Becoming an instructor...PADI vs. SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LSS tech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I work at a zoo,taking care of a pinniped exhibit. We have to dive about once a week to clean the pools, and right now there are only 2 of us certified. We are tired. Management has given me the green light on becoming an instructor so I can teach other zookeepers how to dive.

I want to be able to teach them here at the zoo; we have a holding pool that is similar to a swimming pool as well as our main exhibit. From what I understand, becoming an instructor through SSI will allow me to teach them here at the zoo. If my research is still correct, if I become an instructor through PADI, I have to use a facility that PADI approves of. Am I right or wrong on that?

There is another catch. I am currently only Open Water certified through PADI, and the shop is within walking distance from my house. The SSI place is much further, and I'd like to avoid the drive. I'd like to go as far as I can at my local dive shop and then switch over to the SSI shop. I know the two agencies acknowledge each other, but does anyone foresee any other problems?

Thanks for reading my long post. Thanks in advance for your help.

SSI requires that you are "affiliated" with an SSI Facility.
PADI does not maintain that standard.

You should also consider SDI, NAUI, IANTD as alternatives as well.

As someone considering an instructor track, it would be a disservice to your future students to not do some soulsearching and look at your experience-set and make sure it is qualified enough to be leading someone into Scuba.

An alternative: You may want to find a shop in the area who can help meet your occupational needs while giving you experience working with other, more experienced and more qualified, instructors.

I am sure you can find a shop that is willing to work with you.

Then you can have the instructor course meet your partnership (with the Scuba Shop) goals.

Good luck!

I work at a zoo,taking care of a pinniped exhibit. We have to dive about once a week to clean the pools, and right now there are only 2 of us certified. We are tired. Management has given me the green light on becoming an instructor so I can teach other zookeepers how to dive.

It's great if you want to become an instructor, but if you just want to teach a few other other zookeepers how to dive, I think you'll be better off getting a local SCUBA Shop or instructor to do it for you.

If money is a problem (I know most zoos aren't rolling in cash), I'm pretty sure that a lot of shops would be willing to trade the zoo some lessons for some publicity.

Terry

I can't believe I'm saying this, but in your situation I think PADI would be the better choice. You have a relationship with a PADI store already and they are across the street.

If you go PADI you can be an independent instructor teaching at the ZOO.

If you go SSI you will have to be affiliated with a retail facility and teach your students through that SSI facility. This would be more of an unneeded hassle in your particular situation.

Don't get me wrong, SSI is a great agency and you would receive a fine education going that route, but you would spend unneeded time working in the store and learning retail sales training. Thats SSI's big thing.

With PADI it will be easier and quicker to get from point A to Instructor. That's kinda their big thing.

On the other hand, you could try calling SSI headquarters and let them know what your wanting to do and they might just classify your ZOO as a facility in exchange for a little advertising at the zoo. You would want to call Doug McNeese or Watson DeVore if that idea sounded good.

The only reason to be an SSI instructor is if you own your own dive shop. Since you have to be affiliated with an LDS there is no reason to restrict your options if you will want to do independent work (and it sounds like it from your post). I got that information from a former SSI instructor who lost his ability to teach after a falling out with the only SSI LDS in his area, at least until he was able to complete a crossover to another agency (ironically, PADI).

Many aquariums, and perhaps zoos, have volunteer diver programs. Could that be another option?
becoming an instructor through SSI will allow me to teach them here at the zoo
I wonder about that.
Both PADI and SSI belong to WRSTC :: World Recreational Scuba Training Council
which requires open water dives in depths greater than 15 feet.
( reference the Open Water download on this page: WRSTC Downloads )

PADI does require one skill (the CESA) to be done in at least 20 feet. This might be the difference you’ve found.

As for what counts for open water diving, the PADI instructor manual says:
Open water is any body of water considerably larger than a swimming pool that exposes student divers to an environment similar to that experienced by recreational divers.
I don’t know what SSI says.
Your holding pool might, or might not meet their criteria, but I’d double check with both agencies, and get a decision in writing before committing to the somewhat lengthy road to instructor.

The location of the PADI store might well tip the balance their way. They might welcome the opportunity to cut you a deal. It probably wouldn’t be the first cooperative arrangement between a zoo and a dive shop.

As an open water diver there are a couple things you need to consider before starting out on this track.

1. Who is going to pay for all the training to get you certified as an instructor? It's not a cheap endeavor especially when starting from an open water certification.

2. Who is going to pay the annual fee to remain an instructor? Unlike a non-pro certification you have to pay to renew your instructor certification annually to remain in active teaching status. Each agency is a little different on their cost, be sure to check that out.

3. How will insurance be handled? You have to carry liability insurance that's accepted by your agency in order to have teaching status. They might accept the general zoo insurance policy but then again they might not. To give you an idea, I'm NAUI and pay a little over $500 per year for my insurance.

Figure out how much this is going to cost the zoo over a 5 year period and compare that to how many divers you're actually going to be training aka the benefit the zoo will see. You may find it more financially sound to contract with one of the shops for your training.

Good luck in whatever you do!
Ber :lilbunny:

I am a PADI Dive Master and have to agree with comments in the thread. It is expensive to be a casual instructor. If all you want is to teach other zoo employees, you will not likely have enough classes to get and stay proficient as an instructor.

I was working with a boy scout troop and the local PADI shop was great about working with us on cost. Work great for the shop because they got 2 DM's and a lot of equipment sales out of it.

If you want to go pro yourself and do more than just teach the other folks at the zoo, I think the shop or dive community you are in is more important than which agency you work with.

I'm an instructor with several agencies, and I have to say your practical constraints do indicate PADI. But as others have said, it's an extremely expensive proposition becoming and remaining an instructor, and as an OW diver you're a long way from it. And even as an instructor you may not be able to teach divers at your facility.

If this is your sole reason for becoming an instructor, I'd say forget it - it'll be WAY cheaper to take the staff to a local dive school. And they'll probably get better training.

Thank you everyone for your quick, courteous replies. Seems I've got a lot to think about here!

Back
Top Bottom