Becoming an Instructor..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gary_b

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask a of quick questions,
I'm pretty new to diving, I've done just over 30 dives along with my AOW cert, I'm signed up for rescue next week.
I would be looking at doind the IE in october (if i feel 100% confident by then) and getting MSDT certified after that.
I'm absolutely obsessed with diving and it only seems right that I should do it for a living... BUT

I'd me moving to New Zealand after my IDC does anyone know what the chances of me landing work there would be?

Can you actually make a livable income from diving?

Would there be any other courses you could recommend to make me more employable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I have already had a chat to a few people at my LDS, just wanted a few more opinions.

Cheers,

Have a great New Year! :)

Decide who you'd want your instructor to be, and make sure you can be that person before taking ITC. Do the same as an employer.

Dive instruction is different around the world; if your goal is to work in NZ as an instructor, you might find it more worthwhile to do the ITC there.

Try to stick around your LDS as an OWSI/MSDT prior to heading out. Serves you that much better if you have some experience rather then as a freshie out of IDC with only paper MSDT ratings.

Try to spend a bit more time around your DMT - that's where the real learning takes place. IDCs/ITCs are mainly courses on how to sell these days IMO.

Even if you have to 'volunteer' your time it makes you a more experienced instructor from the get go before you ship out of waters you're familiar with, somewhat.

What's the difference between a pizza and a diving instructor?

A pizza can feed a family of four!

There isn't a lot of money in it unless you offer something others don't of you're at the top of your game.

Can you actually make a livable income from diving?

It depends on where you live and how you want to live.

There is no way you could support a family on the money you can make from teaching diving, but if you live alone and dig the "beach bum" life style then it can be an amusing way to live for a while.

Also, I would advise you not to move through the ranks too quickly. Good instructors have a strong foundation of dive skills and experience. The zero-to-hero courses are not well respected in diving circles and the instructors produced by such courses often lead to teaching that is more akin to "the blind leading the blind" than to anything resembling competent diver instruction.

Even if you don't mind being the leader in a game of "the blind leading the blind" then at least consider the needs of your students. They don't want to die because you don't know what you're doing, even if you don't mind.

Get some experience first. Work as a DM for a couple of years before even considering teaching.

R..

Contrary to what some have written, I do believe one can make a decent living as a scuba instructor, but those that do are very specialized and few and far between and who have been doing this for a VERY long time.

PLEASE, before even contemplating becoming a Dive Master, let alone and instructor, GO DIVING and GET REALLY TRAINED -- and for your sake, as well as your future students, get training outside of PADI. I'm not saying that because I believe the PADI system of training is bad (I am a PADI instructor and enjoy and believe in the system) but because there are other just as good systems out there from which you can enhance your education. In addition, there is some training you can get from instructors from other agencies that just isn't taught (generally) within the PADI Recreational system.

Diving is a wonderful lifetime activity (my dad dove into his late 70s) so take your time, get experienced, have experiences and then become a great teacher.

30 dives now, IE in October?

You would need to average 7 dives per month just to get to the 100 logged dives (minimum) required to finish an IDC.

As others have said, dive and gain experience working with a dive centre for a time.

Certed in 2004, DM in 2006 - 2007, Instructor 2008. Entry level Tech Instructor 2012. In between those - dived in Atlantic, Pacific, Great Lakes, Florida, Bonaire, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St Lawrence River, under the ice in Ohio and Indiana. Before instructor got training in UW Nav, Deep, Deco, Night/Low Vis, Equipment Technician, Rescue, Helitrox, Drysuit, and attended a few other workshops. Got in 250 dives or so before starting instructor course. Instructor prep course was 8 months long and included some tech dives, actual teaching of students under instructor supervision, had to prepare, write, and present all lectures for the OW course, conduct pool sessions, prepare poolside lectures, and lead divers on checkouts. Assisted in the certification of about 120 divers from Jr OW though DM before taking my instructor exam that was 4 full days from 8am to 7pm with two of those days running til around 11pm. 1 week after was given my own OW class to teach unassisted and felt fully prepared and ready to do it.

Biggest advantage I had came from not rushing through the important courses and diving in between them just for fun. Worst period and one that caused me to almost give up the whole pro thing was DMing for course after course with no dives just for me. It was good experience in that I got to see a lot of problems and learn to deal with them. It also convinced me that selling class after class to new divers is most often a demonstration of greed, results in poor divers with lighter wallets, and was in serious conflict with my own personal ethics and morals.

I would seriously advise any new diver to slow down with the courses. Choose an entry level course that will fully prepare you to plan dives, execute them, and return safely from them with the need for ANY further training for your local conditions at the level you are certed. It should have real gas management in it. Not the be back with 500 psi crap. It should also have rescue skills beyond cramp removal and tired diver tows. Then dive. Dive some more.

Then take a Rescue Class. You do not need AOW to do that. Some agencies only require OW and ten dives. Then dive some more.

Work on basic skills and situational awareness. If possible do these with different instructors from different agencies from here on. Unless you find an instructor that is really good and knows what they are doing. Good ones will even send you to other places if you have an interest they are not passionate about. Not try to toss in a by the book class to keep your money with them.

I do not teach UW photo. I refer students to others for that. Including to people who are not scuba instructors. They are professional photographers. The student knows how to dive. They want to learn to take pictures. Two different animals many times.

Then sit down and decide what direction you want to go. If you want to teach focus on developing core skills in that area.

Buddy SKills and Buoyancy/Trim are number one before you do anything else. Screw AOW and take a B & T workshop that requires you to stay with your buddy no matter what. Then work on what you covered. Once that's down take a class that will reinforce those skills. I like Underwater Navigation for that. A good UW Nav course. Then dive.

Next maybe an AOW as long as it is not a by the book course with nothing but experience with an instructor and a "taste" of "advanced" dives. Take one that is an actual course requiring new skills, knowledge, and that will require you think. Really think. One where the instructor will look at where you are and ratchet up the requirements in some areas to challenge you. If you've taken and UW Nav class maybe he/she will add more complex requirements to the UW Nav dive in the AOW class to test and augment what you already have.

Then dive.

After that take a good deep course that really covers gas management, deco, and rescue of a diver from those depths. Then dive.

Then take a tech class or two. Like Intro to Tech and Adv Nitrox/Deco or an entry level TriMix like Helitrox. Do some dives in that area.

Then decide if you want to become a DM. If so start building your standards library. Research the different agencies and get copies of their standards. Easy enough to do.

Then see what programs mesh with your style, skills, interests, and most importantly - ethics and morals. The one I started with ended up not. So I crossed over to another agency that did. Then DM for awhile ( I like to see 1 yr minimum) with a place(s) that uses actual students not simulated ones. Only by working with actual new divers do you really get to see the boneheaded stuff that goes on because they really don't know any better.

Then after you've done this think about becoming an instructor.

gary, welcome to the world of addicted scuba divers! I completely understand your ambitions . . . when I got certified, I fell completely in love with the sport. As I have always taught anything I have gotten deeply involved with, it was natural for me to aspire to becoming an instructor of scuba. It was de rigeur at our dive shop, too . . . many people were DMs in less than a year, and instructors not too long after that. It was where I was going.

And then, on my 20th dive, I met up with NW Grateful Diver here on this board. We got in the water together, and I got to see, for the first time, someone who was absolutely quiet and stable in everything he did. I got to see good passive communication using lights. And most amazingly, no matter where Bob went, he didn't stir up a single particle of silt! I looked at Bob underwater and I knew two things. One was that I was nowhere NEAR good enough to think about becoming an instructor (and that some of the people who had instructed me weren't, either), and the other was that, whatever this guy had, I WANTED it!

That experience changed my trajectory in a permanent way. I went on to take the class Bob had, and more, and ended up with technical and cave certifications, and at the end of all that (and a lot of travel and diving) I finally felt I had something of real value to offer students, so I did my DM class. I still haven't gone up to instructor, but a lot of that has to do with my reaction to doing OW dives with students in very poor viz.

At any rate, I'd give the same advice as several others have. Slow down and build diving skills and experience, until you can be a VALUABLE instructor. And although I know it's rather like telling someone in San Francisco to go to New York to learn something, if you can get down to Melbourne, I can put you in touch with some folks who will show you exactly what Bob showed me, and you can decide if you, too, want to learn something more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom