Becoming an Instructor..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary,

Just let me address these last couple of posts again. Nobody here would want to discourage you from following this dream, the advice you're getting is with respect to the intended tempo, not with the goal you've set for yourself. We can all related to your passion for diving.

R..

I finished my Divemaster program in August and last week was asked to join an Instructor program in February. I just did my 175th dive a few minutes ago, and have about 15 specialities between SSI and PADI. I think it's too soon for me to move up to Instructor. Thirty dives so far? Slow down and learn something along the way.

First welcome aboard!

Listen to these people,they know what they are talking about. I had/have an opportunity to dive with some seriously skilled people. Wow, talk about an eye opener! I was super flattered when one of them (they are all instructors by the way) asked/suggested that I move on to DM or AI. I've been diving for around 30yrs and just got serious in the last 7. Be patient and listen. HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added December 30th, 2012 at 03:39 PM ----------

FWIW I just now completed my AOW, I've never felt the need to check boxes. Nitrox next week, dry and deep next weekend (SDI).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first job as an instructor as in New Zealand, and it was great ! I was lucky in that the first ever dive centre I asked for a job with needed someone at the time. Teaching in NZ was a great experience... Go for it !

Taking your IDC/Ie in October is an acheiveable aim... But it depends what you do between now and then. I also subscribe to the idea of diving in as many different environments as possible between now and then. I'd also suggest looking into Asia for a DM course. This way you can spend 2 months or so doing this, diving every day. When you dive every single day over a period of time like this, that's when you can really improve as a diver, rather than if you dive every now and again, weekends only...

Depending where you are, you coud fly into Bangkok, take an AOW in Thailand and then start moving towards NZ, taking the other courses in different locations along the way... Check out places like Pulau Weh, Bali and Sipadan...

A lot of people have said get more experience between courses and don't rush things. Along those same lines, I'm going to say this: If you're in a position to possibly take an IDC, don't talk to the course director about it until you're sure you're ready to be an instructor. I don't want to say I got talked into becoming an instructor too early, but with two week left in my DM internship, I was wondering if I was really ready to start an instructor course (I did them back to back). I finally felt like I was actually ready on my first dive after the instructor exam, oddly enough. Now that I'm trying (hoping) to find a job to start in May, I'm again starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into.

On top of what everyone else said, go take a GUE Fundies or a UTD Essentials Course. Then ask yourself if you still ready to take an IDC within your first year.

What's the difference between a pizza and a diving instructor?

A pizza can feed a family of four!

Big pizza where you come from! :D

randytay, I would have recommended the same thing . . . but I looked at where the OP is, and there are no DIR-type instructors or centers in his part of Australia. He might even have significant difficulty finding someone with cavern or cave training with whom to dive. But he can certainly look at the 5thD-X videos on YouTube, or watch some of the videos done by Rainer here on SB, or the ones by Gombessa, to see some very good examples of stable divers.

I believe both Gideon and Leon (GUE) and Poh Chang (UTD) travel to Australia pretty frequently. I would be happy to introduce OP to either of them but I would probably start with Poh Chang :p

Back
Top Bottom