Bed Bugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be staying at Scuba Club in June. I saw a comment on Facebook saying that they had bed bugs, though other posters said they didn't. Anybody here know anything?

My son was an inspector for these little critters. They can be just about anywhere. I think we would all be surprised how many bugs are in our homes. Imagine the tropics. Yikes. Lol
Scuba club has a pretty loyal following it seems from those who enjoy it. Hopefully if it was true the resort has remedied the situation.

Eight trips for me and nothing either.

A dozen trips to SCC over 20 years and no bedbugs. Perhaps the person who posted on FB brought them along with them in their luggage. Otherwise I agree with jlyle, fake news.

My wife and I were the victims of a bedbug infestation a few years ago in our rental condominium in Florida. The previous tenants had evidently brought them in with them. In the process of getting them taken care of, we learned a whole lot about bedbugs. What we learned made us wonder why they aren't everywhere. They very hard to eradicate, and they can travel easily from one site to another through traveler belongings.

They do not, however, spread otherwise. No other unit in our condo complex was affected. We did not hear tales of any other places nearby being affected. The pest control company took care of things, which included throwing some of the furniture away and baking everything else (including our clothes) at high temperatures.

But once they were gone, they were gone. Period. We moved back in, and we have returned to the same place every year since, with no problems.

So, if a room in that resort was infected and properly treated, then there is no reason not to go back to it. There is no reason the other rooms nearby would be affected. I am sure most, if not all, such resorts have had such incidents in their histories. Assuming proper extermination, you would have no way of knowing, and no reason to care.

I saw that post on Facebook as well. There are no details or anecdotes. Without specifics, it could very well be posted by someone with a grudge or ax to grind. Any mention of nanny cams, tainted alcohol, theft and bed bugs is a massive deterrent, warranted or not. Coming from only one source on a Facebook page with >15,000 followers is to be taken with a large grain of NaCl.

Going to tell a story on my self. My first trip to Cozumel (decades ago ) I started feeling these bites at a well known hotel about 11pm at night. I was furious and had them change the sheets at midnight thinking it was a problem with the bed Almost changed rooms.

Realized the next day when I mentioned it to a local that it was actually a delayed reaction to jellyfish larvae/sea lice (not really, just a nickname) /agua mala floating in the water while snorkeling. Pain equivalent of a small ant bite but often on a delayed basis. I felt like an IDIOT when I realized I had made them change the sheets for nothing. I’m from Texas, when we get hit with jellyfish you usually run out of the water screaming immediately. Pain of equivalent of ant bite (or less ) never occurred to me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom