Been meaning to write about our trip to PG...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Puerto Galera Philippines Report
I've been back for more than a week and have yet to put anything up on that trip. Well, here are a few words about the main facets of the trip...

Puerto Galera Diving
This is by far the best diving I have experienced, though admittedly the most exotic places I have dove are Okinawa and Thailand. PG was consistently spectacular day after day. The dive sites are all 5 to 15 minutes from the resort. Soft and hard corals abound and the sea life is amazing. Sites ranged from easy shallow reefs to deep current-swept wrecks. The currents are a factor to be managed for inexperienced divers. Grade: A+

Asia Divers
The guides are friendly, professional and knowledgeable. The boats run virtually non-stop each day, and since the sites are so close, this has the feel of a liveaboard. Gear is moved about without diver intervention. Folks can dive their butts off without much effort since the sites are close and equipment is handled by others. This operation has their act together and I highly recommend them. Grade: A+

El Galleon Resort
El Galleon is right next to Asia Divers, so it’s a very convenient place to say. The staff at El Galleon is very friendly and helpful, doing everything they can to make your stay effortless. The meals are good and the Point Bar was a nice place to unwind, happy hour is 4:30 to 6:30, two for one drinks. Rooms were OK, some were quite a climb uphill. Grade: A

Tech Asia
I did some dive training with the folks at Tech Asia, who are affiliated with Asia Divers and El Galleon. As with the other operations, I was thoroughly impressed with the knowledge, skill and professionalism of the folks at Tech Asia. These folks are seriously skilled divers and I was able to glean new stuff at any moment during setup or the dive. Gear lugging was taken care of by support staff, which was especially appreciated with doubles and stages. Check this facility out if you have any aspirations in the technical diving realm. Grade: A+

I have some pictures up from the PI trip on my site, but please excuse the rest of the site, which is ugly and limping along...
http://www.discoverydiverstokyo.com/photo_gallery/

Good write-up, jagfish. It was nice finally meeting you in person (oh, I look way different from my avatar and profile pic :D ). I also looked at your website. Wow, those are indeed good prices compared to other dive shops there. Good luck with the business.

nice write up jim! cant wait for the website to be up. regards to yuko and kids:)

How much would a weekend at PG cost?

2 dives a day and 3 dives a day.

w/c operator do you recommend? Asia Divers

ocrmaster:
How much would a weekend at PG cost?

2 dives a day and 3 dives a day.

w/c operator do you recommend? Asia Divers
I don't know about asiadivers or el galleon but I stayed in Portofino and dove with Action divers during DOR 4. 4 nights, 8 dives = less than 340 bucks US.

ninja edit: that included bar tab too :D

You know I have to say it is amazing that a board like this can bring so many people together. On that one weekend in PG there must have been 20 or more SB members, including Puff and his wife, dlndavid, Zee and of course all the PPD. It was great meeting you and your family Jim.
I agree the diving there was excellent and the people of the Philippines even better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom