beginner and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeemike1982

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi, i just got certified and loved it.. im thinking of buying the neccesary equipment but am not sure really which brands or items to choose for something not bad.i asked my instructor and he said im looking at around 1200$ for something average..any advice on what to go for ?? mares? just looking for some hints and second opinions..is second hand equipment any good or am i better off just getting new gear..thank you for any advice

cyaa

I bought Mares Abyss and Rebel Octopus in the Czech Republic.
The Rebel had always problems with free flow from new on. The Mares guys here don't repair it for free and charge a lot for adjusting it but tell me I need to exchange a part which I can get for free from my dealer.
The Mares importer in the Czech Republic tells such a part does not exist, even with the part number and an official email from Mares Asia.
So I won't buy any Mares product again.
But must mention the Mares guys from US here on the forum were very helpfull but couldn't do much.

Although I have been diving for several years I didn't buy my own gear until last year and I made some mistakes (as we all have) so I figured I would pass on what I learned.

Take a look at where you intend to dive most, who you will be diving with and what type of diving you intend to do now and in the next couple years. I made the mistake of jumping out and getting most of the gear that my instructor used or my LDS suggested and ended up with a lot of really good gear that didn't really suit my needs for a really high price.

I went all scubapro and I stand by there regs 100% but I got a nighthawk bcd with Air 2 and now I wish I would have gone with a back plate and wing setup. If you don't go any further than basic open water diving than its not going to cost you much and your gear will likely last a long time but if you are like many of us you will want to upgrade and add on gear almost immediatly so it pays to research every piece of gear. A back plate and wing is highly adaptable so if you switch to diving doubles or something its likely to adapt for cheaper than getting a totally different bcd.

I am diving a 7mm 2 piece wetsuit now but since most of the water I dive in doesn't get much above 55 degrees F than I should have gone the drysuit dirrection. If you go wetsuitlook into the extra strech material, I spent lots of extra cash and got hendersons titanium hyperstrech material and its worth every penny, I would have paid more.

As far as basic mask/fins/snorkel go you dont have to go expensive but you will regret it. I picked up scubapro's twin jet fins and absolutly love them and after trying 2 less expensive styles I am glad I switched. Since I dive cold water and am interested in com systems the ffm masks suit me but I started out with an ordinary mask (and still use it cause I cant afford the aga yet). For a mask fit is most important, if it dont seal dont buy it. As far as snorkels go I would never get another one but I dont need one either, if you dive in rough water or swim to the dive site get a snorkel but go cheap and stear clear of those fancy cumbersom dry/semi dry ones. oh and I like fins that are neutral or slightly buoyant and high viz after seeing 2 people loose a fin in lake superior one day.

If you get your own tanks read up and especially on this board you will find lots of info on tanks. I went with the common aluminum 80's and am switching to Faber FX-100's which are high pressure steel (might go with worthingtons also, undecided). The aluminum tanks are more work than they are worth, imop. Pay attention the the valves and make sure you get a good one that will handle what you need.

I have a suunto cobra dive computer which I love but is completly unnecessary. If I was gonna get another computer... I wouldn't but instead I would go with the SPG. The nice part of the computers is they keep dive logs for me so I can load everything onto a pc and print it out. the downside is they instill lazyness and carelessness which are dangerous under 120 fsw. Stay away from spare air systems and the like. I have one and carry it for now on solo dives but only until I can afford a 19 cuft pony setup, than the 3 cuft spare air is going on ebay to kill someone else. Every LDS I have been in pushes the spare air so watch out.

I went though an LDS for all my life support equipment and some other name brand products that had good warrantees. Than I went online for all the other not as important gear. Your LDS can be your best friend and I am lucky enough to have 3 within 80 miles that treat me very well and because I know all of them so well I have got some discounts that even beat out leisure pro by 20% or so.

I dont like renting and I dont like used gear but I know people who have done both for years without a problem but if you dive regularly and want the warrantee than go new and go quality. Quality doesn't necessarily mean expensive and sometime it will be hard to find exactly the item you want but in this industry I can promiss you that somebody makes (or is making) what you need so dont be shy to mis match brands. I am pretty loyal to scubapro but so are all 3 of my LDS's so you can guess why.

Diving is expensive, the gear is expensive, and air even costs money so prepare yourself but you can still go out and have a good time and be safe without all the fancy dodads. What you have to do is way in what is important. If you think you might do ice diving in the future get a reg that is designed to handle cold temps. If you dive tropics dont get a drysuit with 400 gam thinsulate liner.

This board has been the best source of info I have ever found so dont be shy like I was. (told you I made a few mistakes :)

Great advice from NorthWoodsDiver, who has recently been there, done that. I'll add a couple of thoughts. A long-running thread about 'most regretted purchases' had many similar gear comments, and NorthWoodsDiver gives a 'spot on' summary.
NorthWoodsDiver:
Take a look at where you intend to dive most, who you will be diving with and what type of diving you intend to do now and in the next couple years. ... I am diving a 7mm 2 piece wetsuit now but since most of the water I dive in doesn't get much above 55 degrees F than I should have gone the drysuit dirrection. If you go wetsuit look into the extra strech material, I spent lots of extra cash and got hendersons titanium hyperstrech material and its worth every penny.
If you're in FL and plan to be there a while, you should be fine with a good 3mm WS. Don't hesitate to spend money on a good exposure suit, like the hyperstretch. After the mask/fins that should probably be your first purchase. Get something that fits, is comfortable for you, etc. Maybe I'm getting to be a woos but if the water temp drops below 70, I go dry. I own a Microprene, a 3mm WS and a drysuit - no 5mm, certainly no 7mm. If you plan to dive in the frozen north, or return there in the future, keep money in the budget for a good DS. I just find it much easier, and warmer, to dive than thick neoprene.

Strongly echo the BP/W sentiment - going BP/W from the start makes very good sense for all the reasons given - equivalent cost, greater flexibility, will 'grow with you', adaptable for virtually any dive environment, etc. You'll find many people who swear by their BC, whatever brand/type, and this is not a criticism of their enthusiasm and experience. Once you try a BP/W it is unlikely (not impossible, just improbable) you'll ever want to return to a BC. If you do go BP/W, don't go with expensive harnesses to start. Try simple webbing for a harness and see if you like it - it is inexpensive and very functional. You can always go with a more elaborate harness down the road. Also, even if you are diving wet to begin, go with a SS BP. It may allow you to minimize weight on your waist, or eliminate it altogether if you dive a steel tank.
NorthWoodsDiver:
I like fins that are neutral or slightly buoyant and high viz after seeing 2 people loose a fin in lake superior one day.
Good good points to heed. If you dive wet, chances are you'll not want a negative fin. I love my SP Jets for my DS, but I prefer my Mares Quattros for wet. My 0.02 - go with spring straps from the outset, whatever fin you get. No sense in worrying about straps breaking at the wrong time.

NorthWoodsDiver:
I went with the common aluminum 80's and am switching to Faber FX-100's which are high pressure steel (might go with worthingtons also, undecided).
Again, a common exprience. The AL80 is the most commonly encountered tank. But, go HP steel when you are ready to buy a tank and you won't regret it.

While I don't think a computer is essential, nor should it be an early purchase, I do like the log functions (as NorthWoodsDiver mentions) and the computer adds to my available information. I still use tables, to maintain proficiency. If you go with a computer, defintely get a nitrox-capable unit.
NorthWoodsDiver:
Stay away from spare air systems and the like. I have one and carry it for now on solo dives but only until I can afford a 19 cuft pony setup, than the 3 cuft spare air is going on ebay to kill someone else. Every LDS I have been in pushes the spare air so watch out.
Very worthwhile. Many folks mentioned regrets about the Spare Air, and small pony bottles. FWIW, the general sentiment was nothing smaller than 19, but a number of people said nothing smaller than 30. I started with a AL40 as my pony. It is remarkably unobtrusive on a dive, has plenty of air, and I ended up converting it to a deco tank when I went tec.

NorthWoodsDiver:
I dont like renting ... if you dive regularly and want the warrantee than go new and go quality.
To a certain extent, there's even a safety issue. While many operations rent excellent gear, there is something to be said for owning your own gear, early - you are familiar with the equipment and its function, you know its history, you know the service record. That reassurance simply reduces one of the elements of stress that can contribute to UW problems. Gear ownership contributes to more frequent / regular diving. More frequent / regular diving contributes not just to more enjoyment but to greater proficiency. Greater proficiency contributes to better safety. These are not absolutes by any means, but definite trends.

There are a great deal of wonderful choices out there to choose from. And while this can be confusing start your search be first deciding what type of diving you are mostly going to be doing. The gear I own for more extreme technical style diving isn't the same gear I use for my basic, comfortable, lazy recreational diving. I know most of us out there don't have the funds to own 2 or 3 sets of gear for different uses, so purchasing the most well rounded gear for your interests is important.

You don't have to be nearly as worried about the particular manufacturer of the gear as you do getting the right piece of gear for the dive. There is fantastic gear made by just about every manufacturer out there. What does your LDS sell, if you are concerned about service? If you are going to use one of us Online Retailers with a full repair facility, that isn't nearly as much of a concern.

Don't be afraid to ask. But rather than asking what the best gear to buy, ask WHY they use or like a particular piece of gear. The warranty? It's functionality? Service? I don't know how often I've seen gear bought because so-and-so says its the best only to learn the first person purchased the gear because it LOOKED good.

Mostly try and avoid second hand gear if at all possible. What seems like a great deal can easily turn out to be a very expensive nightmare. The first thing you'll want to do is have the gear serviced, regardless of what the person you purchased it from says. Since you no longer hold the warranty for parts, you could easily wind up paying a lot more in parts and service than the purchase price of a new piece of gear.

No matter what you choose, though, get out into the water and enjoy it!!!

Good advice from the responses above. I agree with buying new for some but not all your gear. Definately go new for your regulator. The first piece of gear I bought was my regulator. 20+ years later I am still diving the same regulator as my primary. Take care of your gear and it will take care of you.

Determine what type of diving you plan to do, hook up with other divers doing that same type of diving and see what they are diving and ask them why. Ask them what they would change also, that is where you will get your best advice!

I have gone threw it all a few month ago, here is what I have learned and some of my mistakes:

The Regulator: The first thing I noticed when I started looking for equipment is that the scuba industry is following the trend of the fashion industry...they seem to change their "line" every other year... Buy new, but buy "last year fashion". A 2004 reg is as good as a 2007 reg, but you can get the 2004 model for half price. The reg I got is a Mares Proton Metal V16. Probably the only mistake I didn't make. It's a great reg...

The BCD: No matter what you do, you will make a mistake somewhere in your equipment. You'll get something and after a few dive will realize that this or that piece of equipment doesn't fit you well...somehow. The single piece of equipment you really want to pay attention to is definitely the BCD. You want something that is ergonomically correct. The BCD I bought, a Mares Morphos, is a very good BCD, but it is the biggest mistake I made...
I dive with a 7mm suit, a hood, gloves etc... what I really need is something as streamline as possible, at least for the type of diving I want to do...If I was diving in the Bahamas, I may have a different opinion, or needs. One thing I learn is that side pockets and integrated weight are pretty useless (again for the type of diving I do). The one advice most advanced diver usually agree on, is getting a back plate. Which is exactly what I am about to do... I wish I had listen.

The suit: I went with the Mares Isotherm semi-dry. Great suit for cold water. Since diving with it, I have always come back up dry, except for the wrist and ankles area. If you dive in Florida, a lighter suit will do. There are many good brands... Whatever you get, go for what's comfortable, rather than going for the style.

The Tank: Get steal HP if you can.

Computer: I got a Suunto vyper, my other choice was the Suunto Gekko. Both look very similar, I chose the vyper because you can hook it up to a pc (there is also a software you can get for the mac, if like me you have a mac) and it is backlit (I do night diving). Also Suunto just came out with the vyper2, so the vyper is coming down in price. I am sure I would have been just has happy with the Gekko... Either way, you can't go wrong with a Suunto.

I already had fins, mask and snorkel, since i did some snorkeling before.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom