Beginner dives in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

I'm a brand new OW diver just gotten certified in September! I'm planning my first diving vacation in Cebu for late March early April 2017 woo hoo!

I have 5-6 days to spend and wondered which dive sites would be best suited to my abilities? Should stay in one location, or would I have the time to explore multiple locations? Mactan Island seems the most convenient seeing I'm flying into Cebu Airport, but if I was to dive multiple locations how easy is it to get around?

Logistics aside though, what should I not miss when diving in Cebu, any recommendations on dive shops/accommodations, plus things to do besides diving? I am a single girl travelling on my own, so any tips/advice/insights will be highly welcomed.

Thanks all :)

I did a week of diving in dumaguete but I don't know that I'd recommend it for beginners. Perfectly safe but it is muck diving so you need to have good buoyancy control to avoid kicking up the bottom. There are lots of beautiful reefs in the area though. Apo island which is right across from dumaguete has a beautiful reef. You probably would not want to dive the far side as it is difficult and has major currents, but the side closest to Dumaguete is very good for beginners.

As for other things to do, I would suggest taking a ferry over to siquijor if you have time. I spent a day there and it was unbelievable. Gorgeous beaches and waterfalls, and sufficiently off the beaten path that you really feel like you're escaping. I stayed at Buco beach resort and it was perfect for me. Very basic but clean and safe which is what I prefer. There is diving in Siquijor but I did not dive there as I only had a day and wanted to do some land based stuff.

You don't need to worry about being a solo female traveler in that area. I was as well until I met up with my dive group in dumaguete. When you get off the ferry in siquijor there are guides to take you around (usually on the back of their scooter). I arranged the ferries and everything on my own. It was pretty easy to figure out and the people are very friendly and helpful.

I did not do the whale shark trip in Oslob as I was able to choose between that and diving, and I chose more diving. I'm sure it's great to see the whale sharks but I hear it's a bit of a zoo with that many snorklers. I am going back and will probably do it then.

Moalboal is about 2-3hrs away by bus from Cebu City.
Nelson dive shop(Ocean Safari Philippines) is THE place.
The are diving based on Mactan but most of the shops are geared towards Korean!!!!! The diving is quite good but finding a good operator is NOT easy.

You DEFINITELY have to go scuba diving with the Whale Sharks at Oslob. If you're going to Moalboal, it's an hour's drive or public transportation from there. The sardine run at Moalboal is amazing, but you simply CANNOT miss Oslob. Here's some proof :)

Skip Mactan. Diving and dive shops there SUCK.

Nice blog! Looking forward to reading more from a fellow single girl diver :)

THANK YOU! :) Being a single girl diver isn't always easy, but we make it work. I hope you've gone diving in the Philippines! I just wrote about a new trip I made last October at Batok Reef (shameless plug haha).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom