Beginner Diving in Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

angelacatz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I will be visiting the Galapagos in a few weeks for a land based adventure. We were PADI certified in 2009, but have only managed to get in 2 additional dives off the coast of Southern CA since then for a total of 6. (Oh the shame.) I suppose we didn't realize how challenging GPS diving conditions would be before booking our trip. Still, we're very eager to dive while we're there.

I have read many accounts of the incredible currents at some of the sites, so obviously we will not be attempting Gordon Rocks (and of course, Wolf and Darwin are out of range for land-based diving.) We have never done drift or current or wall diving, either.

"You guys are totally unprepared. Dumbest question ever," you say? Yeah, that's kind what I'm thinking.

I feel completely comfortable diving the first day at Santa Fe, where conditions are apparently fine for beginners with nearly no current.

However, our next 2 potential excursions would be to N. Seymour/Mosquera and Bartolome/Cousins Rock, where I'm told conditions can vary. These are the day trips offered by Scuba Iguana, a very reputable PADI shop on Santa Cruz. This shop does not dive in Academy Bay, which is where you find the truly "beginner" sites. All the reviews of this shop have been nothing but positive. They have assured me they can accommodate beginners at these sites, and there is a DM for every 4 divers. And yet....

If you can either set my mind at ease and tell me to book the dang days already, or tell me we're crazy for even contemplating this, please do. I need your help.

Thanks in advance.
This is a great forum!

Last edited:
My only Galapagos experience is on a liveaboard, so we spent most of our time around Wolf & Darwin. On the couple dives we did around Bartolome and Cousins Rock, the currents were incredibly strong with up and downcurrents too... A lot stronger than what we had on any other island, but then again I guess it may vary from day to day. Maybe not the best place for someone with your experience though. But I'm sure there are lots of sites with appropriate conditions.

Don't forget, even if the DM/instructor tells you it's ok, only YOU can judge if you're ready for that kind of diving. Just the amount of marine life, fish, sharks can be overwhelming for some... You can be in the middle of a school of fish and lose track of everything, depth, orientation, buddy...

It could be a good idea to go diving a couple times around your home beforehand or to get a refresher...Anyway, I'm sure you'll love your trip, just be careful if you go diving.

Oh, and we didn't go to Mosquera or N. Seymour, so I can't comment on this one.

Angela, Welcome to Scubaboard.

Since you have a few weeks before your trip GO GET IN THE OCEAN! In a few days time you can get in a half dozen local SoCal dives and you will be 1) more experienced in general, 2) skills will be fresh. 3) the challenges of SoCal diving will help prepare you for the more challenging diving you might experience.

Remember, when in doubt, hire a personal dive guide if available. The expense isn't that much especially compared to overall cost of your entire trip. Last, but never least, skip the dive if you are not ready.

Have a wonderful trip and please post a trip report when you return.

Safe Travels and Happy Diving!

Man, I wish we could get in the water but we're working every day up until the time we leave. This trip was actually kind of a last minute (booking it only a month in advance) thing for us.

We have our PADI Advanced OW course materials, since we intended to get our AOW cert at one point, so maybe using that as a refresher will help with emergency skills. And I've also been reading up on current/drift diving. I know there is no substitution for being in the water to practice these skills, but I'm hopeful at least studying will drill some things into my brain.

And you can bet I won't have a problem sitting one out if it looks nasty. But can you really tell from surface conditions what's down there? The idea of up/down currents terrify me! I guess some amount of fear/reverence of the ocean is healthy, as long as it doesn't result in panic.

I will inquire about hiring a personal DM also.

Thanks for the replies! Your input is much appreciated.

We are hoping to visit Galapagos too and I'm lucky to live in Bermuda where I can go diving during the weekend - however it's mostly calm and warm water, and mostly shallow. I can probably clock up the number of dives to 100, but not sure if I'll have the variety of experience for the challenge there.

Would anyone recommend sort of "prep" trip for Galapagos? I'm thinking Mexico either Baja or Cozumel for drift diving. We are going to the Little Cayman this summer but again, more warm water.

Yeah, I'm starting to think we should hold off on the diving THIS TIME. Argh! BUT WE'RE GOING TO BE IN THE GALAPAGOS! HOW CAN WE NOT BE DIVING?? I mean, let's be real, THIS TIME may be THE ONLY TIME.

We have been diving exactly 6 times. S-I-X times does not even come close to qualifying as intermediate. But, hey, I bought each of us a DAN Safety Signal Kit, so no worries, right? Eh.

Well, I had one semi-nightmare a few nights ago about a scenario in which I never hope to find myself. I think that's my brain telling me to "let go" of this. I mean, what's the point if I'm going to be all freaked out about being swept away (or worse-- down). But dammit I want to post a trip report! Dammit I don't want to post an accident report!

Thanks, dear forum, for listening.

Snorkeling, there's always snorkeling. Eh.

No way in the world would I dive Galapagos with 6 dives.

I've been diving for 10 years, we are planning a trip to the Galagagos, however, are also planning on passing the Padi rescue diver course before we go also.

Relax. Enjoy your Galapagos trip. There's a great deal to see topside. Have a blast!

If you can set things up so that you'll be doing beginner dives with appropriate supervision, go diving.
If you're worried that the diving might be more than you can handle, go diving on some other trip...somewhere that's more beginner-friendly.

When you get back from your Galapagos trip, get back into the sport in your local waters. SoCal has a lot of active, friendly divers. Join one or more local dive clubs. Make new friends. Take a few classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom