Beginner - Diving the Blue Hole in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving the Blue Hole is not a great dive. It is one of those things you do and say 'Ive done that'. Since it is so deep and you're doing multiple dives, you're only at 150' for a few minutes. It's really not worth the long boat drive out there, but that's only my opinion. The pictures from the air are better!

Congrats on becoming a diver and welcome to SB.
I can only tell you one thing: don't let anyone push you into doing things you're not sure about. BUT if you feel you can, stay close to your DM and do not hesitate to let him/her know of any problem you may have.
In order to really enjoy this you should first be alive.
Keep it safe,

Kez:
DiveMaster1 - you say you doubt you'll go back to Belize - why's that?

I just wasn't impressed with it compared to other places in that region. I thought it was on a par with Yucatan Mexico (non-Cozamel), say Playa or Puerto Adventura to the south. But many of he dive boats Belize impressed me as sub-par and the boat crews and divemasters barely excelled to a level beyond bored and careless.

In that part of the world I've found the diving better overall in Utila, Cozamel or Roatan: better life and reefs close-in and good variety, and more professionally run dive operations (although there are bad lots everywhere).

Still, dive everywhere--at least once, have fun at it and be safe!

Kez:
... How do I judge whether I'm ready for it?
Pasley's rules of diving
1. If anyone in the group says "Well, what do you think? Should we do the dive? The answer is no.
2. If anyone in the group says "I am game if you are?" then I abort the dive.
3. Anyone in the group can call the dive at anytime, no questions asked.

Why, well the very fact that the question is asked (or that you asked the question here) says to me that common sense is triggering an alarm saying NO. Everything else is our testosterone trying to talk us into doing something we know deep down we should not be doing.

Bottom line...listen to your own inner voice. Since you asked the question as to weather you are ready for it, then you already deep down know the answer....no, your not. Save it for another day when you have more experience.

Welcome to the board! Remeber to dive your limits! Its often inexperience or not following the buddy rules that get divers into problems. If your new to diving, do some shallow dives first then see if you are comfortable with a deep dive. I personally would do shallow dives if I was a new diver, like go to a loca quarry or something to get experience in the water for a few dives before. I hate quarrys but you have to dive what you can here in Kentucky! Enjoy the trip it should be fun!

Remeber one last piece of advice, if anything makes you uncomfortable, don't dive. Better to sit the dive out and dive the next time! It doesn't matter if you PAID GOOD MONEY for it, wait for the next dive if you have any issues.

I would have to agree with what Pasley said, common sence is calling you!

Back
Top Bottom