Beginner - Diving the Blue Hole in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kez

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've just qualified as a diver and am off to Belize soon. Will be doing 4 or 5 days worth of diving while I'm out there, but wondering whether I should brave the Blue Hole? I know lots of beginners do go down there, but have seen posts on this board and elsewhere advising against it. I'm booked with Amigos de Mar - have heard very good things about them, so think I'd be pretty safe in their hands - they've said I need to do a few local dives first, which is cool. What do people reckon? How do I judge whether I'm ready for it?

Aloha and welcome to the board!
Do you feel your ready for it? Then listen to your DM and have a blast!

Welcome Aboard!!!

It's addictive, but who cares?!?!?

Good friends and good info. What could be better???

P.S. - If you have not already done so, please fill out your profile.

Be careful your excitement does not over rule logic. Don't take any chances.

Have fun no matter what you choose. P.S. BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kez, welcome to the board,

The blue hole is a dive that often goes way below the planned max depth of 40 meters 130 ft. It is seriously cool, but if you are still dry behind the ears (new to diving) I would suggest a couple of options.

Take the advanced course as part of your weeks diving, before you go to the blue hole.

Plan the blue hole as the culmination of the trip.

If you are not sure, dont be afraid to save it for your next trip, what a great excuse to go back huh?

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

If you do the Blue Hole, please stay close to your DM, and let him know quickly of any problems. I hate it that they take newbies down there, but they don't lose many. Lunch on the island, the booby birds, and the other 2 dives are great.

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any more help, PM me direct.

:D

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

It's good that you are questioning whether to "go for it".

I echo cancun mark's advice.

Christian

Welcome to the ScubaBoard.... My friend just came back from diving The Blue Hole, he said it was AMAZING.... He did tell me his group (techies) only went to around 150 and was suprised to see others down that deep. When I asked if he thought I was ready, he told me to go for it, but to set the depth alarm on my computer (just as a reminder). Whatever you decide, please becareful...

Best wishes

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like doing the Advanced OW would be a good idea - I thought it would mean too much time in the classroom (which would be a waste of sunshine!), but having checked it out, it seems like it's more about diving than the OW course. I also thought it was for 'Advanced' divers, but it seems like it's more about getting comfortable with diving. Is that right? And would I have to do some studying and watch a video beforehand?

P.S. Don - "I hate it that they take newbies down there, but they don't lose many." ?!!!

Kez:
Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like doing the Advanced OW would be a good idea - I thought it would mean too much time in the classroom (which would be a waste of sunshine!), but having checked it out, it seems like it's more about diving than the OW course. I also thought it was for 'Advanced' divers, but it seems like it's more about getting comfortable with diving. Is that right? And would I have to do some studying and watch a video beforehand?

P.S. Don - "I hate it that they take newbies down there, but they don't lose many." ?!!!

Yeah, the Dive Guides all go down on Air, as 28% Nitrox has a Sot Bottom of 132 feet, and a hared bottom of 155 feet - which I hit, trying to help the DGs keep others from falling beyond the cavern. They go in Air so they can retrieve those that miss and keep going deeper.

And I seriously doubt that all diver loses around the Caribbean make DAN reports, much less news that most of us would see. {I read the DAN Accidents & Fatalities every year, but most dont.} Remember that you are ultimately responsible for your own life and safety. This ain't a hobby like golf; it's a sport - in that you can die.

Taking your AOW & Nitrox traing with Pro Tech while you're there, before you go to the Blue Hole or Turneff Key would be wonderful, and the two trips are super. I went on a lousy boat, but Roni's new cruiser for those trips is luxurious. I toured it the month before they started running it.

Have fun, but stay safe, and come back to post a report. :eyebrow:

Kez,

I got certified in Belize and opted not to do the Blue Hole. But man, the dive shops sure push that cash cow.

There are so many great dives there with so much to see at a shallower depth. I did a few dives in Hol Chan, around 50-75 feet. They were beautiful.

It wasn't really an issue of safety for me (though I wondered about it a bit). The real issue was bottom time. From what I hear, the Blue Hole is cool but it's like an elevator ride: you go down, you come up, and you pay a lot to do it.

When you're new, just being under is such a thrill. Why not go where you can stay a while?

Anyway, that was my thinking.

Back
Top Bottom