Question Beginner equipment upgrade, wish list for Christmas, suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElCarlos

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am still a beginner but have a complete basic equipment. Different wetsuits, BCD, Fins, mask, Regs and also a tank. I have done AOWD and Nitrox this year, would like to expand to Rescue at some point.
Now I want to refine my equipment. I myself will buy a Lavacore suit and hood to fill a gap and everything else can be on a wish list.

What could I get as a gift with meaningful? I am desperately asked by my relatives who have no idea about diving.

I would have on the list a knife or linecutter, spool, DMSB, maybe a spare mask. DC is difficult, I am not yet in agreement with myself on this subject.

Do you guys have any suggestions from experience as to what might be useful (or not) on the list?

PS: I dive only warm salt water, two China lamps I also have, they are enough for now.

(sry for bad english)

A good gas analyser, including Oxygen and CO percentages.
And a computer, of course.
I used dive tables for almost 40 years, but when I got my first, cheap computer, I understood that it is worth the money, it makes your life so much easy. It does not necessarily makes diving safer, indeed.

Definitely a dive computer. The other Europeans here can comment what is popular for entry level computers in your area and easily available.

Gas analyser.

One of my Buddies here in Cyprus already has a Gas Analyser. We can also make a check at the Refill Station.

Deep inside I know that a basic DC fits all needs I have as a rec diver. But sometimes theres that little devil sitting on one of my shoulders whispering "you want Bluetooth, you want AI, you want...". Some weeks ago I had to restrain myself ordering a Teric.
Rationally, it's best to buy a simple one and then use that as a backup when I should upgrade.

But someone said to me "indulge yourself, it's a hobby". Those damn little devils.

Can you ask the relatives to give you gift cards or cash towards a Teric? There’s no reason to not get a nice computer if you want one. Having an easier to read display is definitely nice.

Rationally, it's best to buy a simple one and then use that as a backup when I should upgrade.

But someone said to me "indulge yourself, it's a hobby". Those damn little devils.
That only works if the "simple one" has a similar algorithm to the upgrade so they can play nicely together. Your back-up computer won't be of much use if it's locked out when needed because it's unhappy with the profile you've been running on the primary.

One of my Buddies here in Cyprus already has a Gas Analyser. We can also make a check at the Refill Station.

Deep inside I know that a basic DC fits all needs I have as a rec diver. But sometimes theres that little devil sitting on one of my shoulders whispering "you want Bluetooth, you want AI, you want...". Some weeks ago I had to restrain myself ordering a Teric.

Then buy a a Perigrine. Or, better, get it as Christmas gift...
I would not spend my money on that just now, my Cressi Leonardo, which costed just 100 € on Amazon Prime day, is just fine for my needs. But if one wants to give me a nice present, I would be very happy to get a Peregrine...

A couple smallish Pelican boxes

'Save a Dive' toolkit

Box of assorted O-rings

Thumb Drive for sharing dive pics

Notched screwdriver for tank valves

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom