Beginner looking for first set of scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronanm98

Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to begin scuba dving and I am about to buy my first set of equipment.

I have just bought a new set of Mares Avanti X-3 Open heeled fins, I see now that there is a newer technology with split fins and I am considering changing them. Any suggestions, I will be primarily diving off the coast of Ireland, where currents may not suit split fin technology.

I am looking for a mask and snorkel, any suggestions! I was looking at the Cressi-sub Big Eyes and Horizon which fitted me well when tried on. It has been mentioned that they may be testing when blowing water out.

Thanks for the help, Ro.

Hey Ronanm98,

I've posted similar questions before and in general here's what I've found.
For gear, it is best to figure out where you will be doing your diving, which you already know and then base your selection on that. From there do some research on makes and models, and check out Rodales (sp?) website or another similar site that does reviews on gear. Most importantly you just gotta go to your LDS and try the gear on, and if you can rent it out and see how well it performs for you on one of your typical dives.
You can also search the gear section of this board to see what other people say about the potential gear you are about to pick.
Thats about the best I can do as I too am fairly new, well actually just getting back into it.

Hope that helps...

PS - the same goes for your other post too in regards to the exposure suit...

If the fins you own work then they should be fine. If you have questions about split fins see if you can try a pair out in the pool or borrow a pair. They are not for everyone. They require a different kick than blade style fins. Split fins work well in most conditions but I have found that they do not work well for short quick bursts of speed. They just don't work as well for the way I kick but there are people that swear by them.

As far as a mask, don't get too caught up in a brand. Find a mask that fits well and buy it. Fit is the most important attribute in a mask. High volume, low volume, big lenses and the like are all secondary to fit.

Snorkels, hmm. I wouldn't spend much on a snorkel unless you plan on doing a lot of snorkeling. I don't use mine much so I rarely wear it. I bring it along on tropical trips were I may snorkel around after a dive but I don't use one while diving.

Scott

Two years ago I went to IDI Turtle fins on my drysiuit. 6 months later I went to IDI Frog fins for wetsuit. Many followed me in my choice. Solid rubber.Still have my original solid rubber fins from when I started diving 23 years ago.

Also dove Tusa and USD prior to going back to all rubber fins

I tryed split fins once.I could not be a good pitchman for the store on those.Rank 'em with Force fin.

Buy a snorkel from Wal-Mart.

Get a good fitting mask and don't let the LDS tell you the more expensive will fit better. It might,but might not.

BC's and Regs.Try different types and brands before you buy.

Ron

Go with what fits you the best. Not the fancy name of the day.

I would hold off on the split fins. You can always try them later.

Then again ask Santa Claus.

If you already have fins keep them and dive with them, you're gonna have lots of chances to buy more gear, the cressi mask is great, with just about the maximum view you can get from a mask, but some people have a problem getting a good seal with this model, if it works great. zeN||

Try em, then buy em. Find stuff that fits you comfortably. Just because it works for me doesn't work for you. Ron doesn't like force fins, I love them. See what I mean? Get all of our opinions and try the stuff and buy what works for you! Most of us are pasionate about diving and at time it spills over into every thing else we talk about. I love all of my dive gear but if I was at a place to dive with out my own, I'd rent gear and dive in.

Joe

Try before you buy. Can you do that online?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom