Beginners Ear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chidis

Reaction score
Hi,
I consider myself a beginner because I haven't been diving in 15 years. I am considering going in an upcoming trip to Grand Caymen but have a question. If one of my ears doesn't clear just in ordinary circumstances (sitting here at my desk) can I expect the same to be true underwater?? I don't know if the pressure would change this or just put me in a lot of pain.

Thanks in advance-
Donna

hi donna,

Welcome to the board.
You probably timed this kinda well. If you cant clear on land it's certainly possible that you could have an issue at depth, but theres no way for sure to tell.
You might want to go for a swim at the local pool, dive down and try equalising. Or pop to the chemist and get some drops to clear blocked ears etc.

But I wouldn't worry about it, at least you've started to do something about if before your trip!

Hope this helps.

Scubafreak

Hi Donna, Beginners Ear is a common problem, I would suggest you go visit your medico and explain.. They will be able to confirm if you just have a congestion problem now, you have a problem that needs some attention, or if you are totally fine and it is all in your head.

Even in the event that your tube has a little damage or scar tissue, they can give you some medication and excercises to open it up.

chidis:
Hi,
I consider myself a beginner because I haven't been diving in 15 years. I am considering going in an upcoming trip to Grand Caymen but have a question. If one of my ears doesn't clear just in ordinary circumstances (sitting here at my desk) can I expect the same to be true underwater?? I don't know if the pressure would change this or just put me in a lot of pain.

Thanks in advance-
Donna

Hi Donna,

Do the Refresher Course.
A lot of the equipment has changed in the last 15 years.
They may not let you dive at Grand Caymen without it.
Be sure to let the instructor know your concerns.
And it is quite possible that after 15 years, they may require that you take the whole course.

Dive safe
Tom

chidis:
Hi,

Thanks in advance-
Donna

In my experience ear clearing is different when I'm underwater. It is silent and I can carefully concentrate on carefull equalization. One ear clears easier than the other for me. Unless you have some unusual ear situation you should be able to clear fine. Try a dive in a local pool to be sure but I would not worry about it.

--Matt

For all of January I had a sinus block from the "Terminal Cold/Flu" that seems to be rampant in this part of the world. For the life of me I couldn't equalize after blowing my nose, also while sitting at my desk. It would eventually clear after 5-20 minutes on its own. But this would be a major problem during ascent with a reverse squeeze. It finally cleared but there was no way I could have dived with those symptons.

chidis:
Hi,
I consider myself a beginner because I haven't been diving in 15 years. I am considering going in an upcoming trip to Grand Caymen
Hi Donna, and welcome (back)!

I hadn't dived since 1991, when my 14-year-old (no coincidence there!) son did his OWD course last summer.

Even though my AOWD certification was still good (I got a replacement PADI card), I sat through the whole OWD course with him, and did all the pool sessions too. I'm very glad I did that... I had forgotten a lot of stuff, and some techniques and standard procedures had changed. Not to mention equipment.

I probably didn't need all those pool sessions... I could have gotten by with one or two.

But that's why there are specific refresher courses around... I definitely concur that one would be highly recommended.

It is like riding a bike... but also like seeing it all for the first time again!!

Good luck with the ear clearing...

--Marek

Thanks for so many quick replies. I was just going to do one of the beginner's diving at the resort courses followed by a 20 foot dive. I am thinking of recertification but not for a couple of years, when my niece will be old enough to take it with me. I have a nawing feeling in the back of my mind that this ear never clears (when I try in a plane) so I'll go to the doctor & have it checked.

Thanks Again
Donna

chidis:
... I am thinking of recertification but not for a couple of years, when my niece will be old enough to take it with me. ...
Donna

If you want to dive with someone who is very young, it's best if you were not a begginer yourself. You should be experianced enough that you can supervise other divers. You really don't want a child and a novice out in the ocean together. Rather then taking OW together, ideally you would be finishing up the rescue class as your niece entered the OW class. You need to be a year or two ahead of her in terms of both experiance and education.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom