Beginning to plan, any advice/guidance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingNole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the very beginning stage of planning a trip to Australia for diving. Dates are flexible, any time after June 2012. My previous trip to Cairns (as a nondiver) was in February, which I know is summer. Is there a better time of year to come down there with the focus of the trip being a liveaboard? Thinking surface conditions, viz, water temps. Been doing mostly Caribbean diving lately, annual trips to Roatan, so looking to change things up a bit.

I definitely would like to go out to Cod Hole, as I think that would have better diving than the Outer Reefs. I have my AOW, 70 logged dives, and pretty comfortable diver (although saying my nav skills suck might be a little too kind). Any recommendations for trips? Besides the GBR, any other diving around the east coast of Australia (i.e. south towards Melbourne). Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure these questions are asked a million times over!

Byron Bay is a good location
south west rocks (grey nurse sharks and the cave)

Sydney and Melbourne might be a bit cold depending on how tough you are :p

Hey DivingNole we went to the Cod Hole in Febuary and did a massive review on the trip on our website - Spirit of Freedom Trip Review: 3 Day Cod Hole & Ribbon Reefs

Winter is the best time of year to dive in Cairns as the visability is greater than in the summer months, saying that you should still bring your 5mm wetsuit as it is a little cold.

If you are looking to dive the Cod Hole then try to do it between June and September which is Minke Whale season. The chances of diving with the whales is high and a very memorable experience. It is the winter months but not too cold.

There are still some good trips to the Outer Reefs but the Cod Hole etc is def worth the extra expence.

If you are travelling south, check out my post on the "Newcastle, NSW, Au" thread, for advice on diving around the Newcastle/Central Coast area.
cheers Col

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom