Being Forced to Buy Equipment AT LDS for Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know of a LDS in the Richmond area that will not teach you OW if you have equipment bought from elsewhere. We've had several customers come by and state that (deleted) wouldn't teach them how to dive because they already have their own equipment not purchased from them. More power to 'em (that dive shop, that is)! We'll teach the students...and make good customers of them them in the process.

I think I know which LDS you are referring to. When I was looking around at getting started I went into this stop and it is clearly stated on their advertisments for the classes.

The LDS that we have been using has been very nice and helpful. We have bought 3 complete set-ups since Sept. The LDS has beat all the internet prices by a bit. And without any push by us. Plus we get help from them. I really like the owner, but I have had an issue with one of the inst. My husbands experience was completely different than mine, as we got cert. seperately. Now that he is cert. I cannot keep him out of the water. As he is going to still be diving in mid Dec. in VA in his 5mm. Thankfully he likes the cold. I am wimping out then. This upcoming weekend is my last for the season. At least in this area.

Anyone else find it odd to call diving a "sport"? I mean, there is no competition. I don't deny that it takes training and a certain degree of athleticism, but a sport?

Sport" comes from the Old French desport meaning "leisure." American English uses the term "sports" to refer to this general type of recreational activity, whereas other regional dialects use the singular "sport". The Persian word for "sport" is based on the root bord, meaning "winning".

or

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs.

I tend to go more with the first one. But to each his own.:idk:

Sport also means, "an organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation," as well as a "mockery or jest."

Sport also means, "an organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation," as well as a "mockery or jest."

So there you go, pick one. 3 ways to define sport. All are correct. :D

I think a mocking monster is best, it covers two out of three, now if you could get it to play tennis ...

I think a mocking monster is best, it covers two out of three, now if you could get it to play tennis ...

Very impressive bio.

A dive shop with purchase requirements is actually what got us interested in starting diving.

We were on vacation and saw a sign for OW classes for $199 or 2 people. After reading their website you had to buy fins/mask/snorkel/boots or buy ~$175 worth of gear each.

We obviously did not go with them but it sparked our interest.

I wonder how the OP has done in the 1.5 years since this thread was started. I hope he hasn't been waiting for the suggestions generated in the last two days before making his decision.

I wonder how the OP has done in the 1.5 years since this thread was started. I hope he hasn't been waiting for the suggestions generated in the last two days before making his decision.

LOL, it just takes some of us longer to respond. Much thought into these newer responses. :rofl3:

Blame it on the one who got this thread going again.:shakehead:

I love my LDS (almost typed LSD! heheh! What a typo, eh? ), but I have found their prices for gear can be quite high. I'm all for supporting them, and I take all my courses there, and rent equipment from them when necessary, and get them to service my gear every year at. When I wanted to buy some fins (Scubapro Seawing Nova - love them!), I found the prices to be significantly over the market value, and ended up saving $55.00 which worked out to over 20% savings. Now I will risk injuring my back to bend down and pick up $55.00 on the sidewalk. :wink:
I still buy stuff from them, but I don't think I am obligated in buying from them if I find the prices too high.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom