Belize 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the challenge with Belize is the reefs very widely unlike places like Cozumel or Bonaire. Belize means different things to different people.

Close to land the reefs are not as great as the far ones such as Lighthouse Atoll.

My wife and I did a live board that spent most of the time at Lighthouse. I can recall 2 spots we dove that set the gold standard for me. Other spots were very similar to Bonaire. On the way back to land we dove closer reefs and they were very average. If I went to Belize and only dove those reefs I would be terribly disappointed.

I did - not impressed. If it's even true.

And lied to is iied to. If I had gotten an honest response from Splash I would not have blown more than 3 grand on a trip that had almost no chance of success.

There is an old Ukrainian saying that I will clean up a bit - "Put both hands out. Hope into one and pee into the other. See which fills first."

Guess which hand filled up on this trip?

I was referring to what can be seen off of Ambergris Caye that may appeal to newer divers and some intermediates. NOT what Kharon should have expected to see.

Kharon, was your Splash boat, the only boat that went out that day?

Gladden Split, where the whale sharks gather, is indeed a 45 minute to 1 hour boat ride, that may or may not be in rough seas. As ever, some things are a factor of what Mother Nature is in the mood to deliver.

I did - not impressed. If it's even true.

And lied to is iied to. If I had gotten an honest response from Splash I would not have blown more than 3 grand on a trip that had almost no chance of success.

There is an old Ukrainian saying that I will clean up a bit - "Put both hands out. Hope into one and pee into the other. See which fills first."

Guess which hand filled up on this trip?

Again, @Kharon, was your boat the only Splash boat that went out that day?

Ambergris Caye diving is awful these days. I’ve been three times and it’s become worse every time. Coral bleaching and minimal fish. It’s a pity because I love the topside but the diving has become pitiful. I won’t be back.

Ambergris Caye diving is awful these days. I’ve been three times and it’s become worse every time. Coral bleaching and minimal fish. It’s a pity because I love the topside but the diving has become pitiful. I won’t be back.

Frankly, I've become disenchanted too but then I know what it used to be like. The fish on the local reef have really suffered due to the lionfish invasion, probably pollution and some overfishing. What is interesting is that there are more sharks (not meaning nurse sharks) in my last few forays and dolphin encounters than I'd ever experienced in all the years when fish were plentiful and reef healthy. The reef did take quite a beating from a couple of hurricanes over the years but I watched it recover with pleasure. The paucity of fish though . . .very sad.

I still have friends down there, both local and expat, that I've known for one to 2 decades. I miss them and some of the topside life.

Having most of my diving now in SE Asia, it will be difficult for me to return despite the homesickness.

I still have friends down there, both local and expat, that I've known for one to 2 decades. I miss them and some of the topside life.

Having most of my diving now in SE Asia, it will be difficult for me to return despite the homesickness.

My last three trips have been Philippines, Fiji and Indonesia. Hard to go ANYWHERE in the Caribbean any longer.

Does anywhere in the world let you scuba with these whale sharks? I heard it was snorkel only around them. Not exactly sure why
The Georgia Aquarium does. Pay extra for the Rebreather experience (You don't have to be RB certified) to get up close and personal. My buddy was nudged by one.

My friends dove with several off Gladden Spit. Snorkelers on their boat got a thrill when several surfaced.

Utila is snorkel only. I have been deeper once when a big shadow went over but they're deceptiely fast - you can't catch them. If they feel threatened their reaction is to dive deep - the area we were in the hard bottom was about 700'.

All of mainland Mexico is snorkel only by federal law - except the Socorros Liveaboards see them during dives. I don't know the exact rules considering approaching them though. The TV commercial showing a diver cutting one free of a net was filmed there - the diver was their DM.

There are reports of encountering them in the Flower Gardens NMS/Stetson Bank area in the Gulf but IDK the US restrictions. If the MV Fling is still running - they go there,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom