Belize Aggressor IV mooring breaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could make the introduction for you, if you wanted to do this but are uncomfortable making a cold approach.

So, is the boat totaled?

I could not see Capt Bland diving for some reason lol

He dived fairly often with Wendy. Never with the passengers though. That's all I was talking about. The only time I ever knew a captain to dive with passengers was on the Coral Spawn, where all the crew would want to dive. We would have a DM and captain go in 30 minutes before the passengers and come up halfway into the customer dive then the other captain and DM would go in and come up 30 minutes after the customer dive.

The shark in the last photo with the matching white spots on each side of its head is called "Bruno". I'm not sure how it got its name (or the white marks), but we've been seeing it for a number of years, usually off the Long Caye wall to the west. Unlike the Halfmoon Caye sharks that are very casual and laid-back, Bruno always appeared to be a little more cautious and edgy.
So does this shark have a name? Our checkout dive was at Sandy Slope and during the dive briefing the discussion flipped to the local nurse sharks. He said they LOVE divers and behave just like puppies. I thought whatever dude, but he could not have been more spot on. This one in particular (with the damaged head) could not get enough attention. Fortunately we did the second dive at the same site. My wife and I typically dive in the opposite direction of the group, so we had this guy and one of his buddies hang with us for most of the dive. We would be focused on other things and he would come up from behind and bump our elbows. Very cool interaction and definitely my favorite dive of the entire trip. (I did not take this picture)

IMG_0026.jpeg

The nurse sharks are fun but the reef sharks can be a bit creepy.

So does this shark have a name? Our checkout dive was at Sandy Slope and during the dive briefing the discussion flipped to the local nurse sharks. He said they LOVE divers and behave just like puppies. I thought whatever dude, but he could not have been more spot on. This one in particular (with the damaged head) could not get enough attention. Fortunately we did the second dive at the same site. My wife and I typically dive in the opposite direction of the group, so we had this guy and one of his buddies hang with us for most of the dive. We would be focused on other things and he would come up from behind and bump our elbows. Very cool interaction and definitely my favorite dive of the entire trip. (I did not take this picture)

View attachment 815489

It reminds me of Mayan Princess' Nurse Shark that swam under me. I petted it and when I was done petting and swam away, it followed me, as if wanting to be petted some more. See the footage in time period 4:50-5:00 of my trip video, below.

Mayan Princess.jpg

Any update on the boat? Is it in dry dock now?

We're supposed to be on it in June, and not feeling crazy enthused based on the boat being damaged, as well as the very bleached reefs.

Schadenfreude can be so satisfying. This is the same Belizean coast guard that claimed they saved us, yet did nothing of the sort. I wonder if they're going to fine themselves.

Coast Guard Vessel Beached After It Takes On Water
posted (December 15, 2023)
Email
Print
7news15.12.23b.jpg
Coast Guard vessels are typically few and far apart, and that's why it was concerning when one of their vessels began taking on water while at sea. According to the Commandant, Admiral Elton Bennett, the team was returning from Turneffe when water started filling the boat from the bottom. The crew then managed to beach the vessel at Water Caye, and there were no injuries reported.
But will the Coast Guard have to say goodbye to one of its vessels, engines and all? Bennett told us that they'll have to wait for the engineers to do an engine flush and an examination, which includes submerged restoration procedures. He also said that the hull will have to undergo a detailed structural test to determine its seaworthiness and repairability.
Each one of these engines is valued at over 40 thousand dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom