Belize: Ambergris or Caulker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I are going to Belize in February. Unfortunately I have been having some serious sinus problems and probably won't be able to dive. I would at least like to snorkel.

I would like people's opinions on where best to go for the best snorkeling and where to stay. We aren't into the night life so which Caye would you recommend, Ambergris or Caulker?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

If you aren't into the night life and prefer a low key place to stay, I'd recommend Caye Caulker. I enjoyed it quite a bit for about 10 days last year. Are you thinking of snorkeling off the beach? Not sure I'd recommend that at Caulker, but I might be mistaken. I went there to dive but a week-long windstorm prevented us from getting out past the barrier reef. Amberis just seemed to be too built up for my tastes, too crowded.

You can snorkel Shark and Ray Alley (which is off Ambergris, but boats will take you there from Caulker).

Keep in mind that storms can come up in February that will affect your diving or snorkeling plans. Had some heavy rains when I was there in March.

Dr. Bill

Hi Dr. Bill,

Thanks for your reply. If you can snorkel from the beach that would be great but I'd be willing to take the boat to Shark and Ray Alley if they are worth seeing.

We are trying to decide whether to go to the Cayes or not since I probably can't dive. We plan on going caving, hiking, seeing the ruins and even to Tikal in Guatamala. We could spend our whole week doing that kind of stuff so I'm trying to decide if it's even worth going to the Cayes if I can't dive.

got4boyz:
We are trying to decide whether to go to the Cayes or not since I probably can't dive.

I probably wouldn't bother. The diving here is good but the snorkelling marginal. It's good where you can do it, but that is very few places. Snorkelling from the beach is no fun here, and can be dangerous (boats).

peterbj7:
I probably wouldn't bother. The diving here is good but the snorkelling marginal. . .

Thanks so much for your advise. It was all I needed to decide against going at all since I was hesitant to go in the first place. I'm bummed I won't be able to dive since I only get the opportunity a couple times a year, but I know we'll have a blast on the mainland since I also love hiking, caving, kayaking, visiting ruins, etc.

Is there any must sees that you would suggest to me?

Thanks, Beth

got4boyz:
Thanks so much for your advise. It was all I needed to decide against going at all since I was hesitant to go in the first place. I'm bummed I won't be able to dive since I only get the opportunity a couple times a year, but I know we'll have a blast on the mainland since I also love hiking, caving, kayaking, visiting ruins, etc.

Is there any must sees that you would suggest to me?

Thanks, Beth

Head south. There are resorts near Cockscomb Jaguar preserve (for non diving stuff) and you can snorkel at many of the cayes inside the reef. And your husband can dive outside the reef on the same trip. From Dangriga to Placencia are many nice places. Remote though. Placencia is the "big" resort town and it's about like Caye Caulker. Hank

Remote sounds GREAT to me. My husband would never go diving without me since I like to dive more than he does. I would let him, but he wouldn't want to make me jealous like that! LOL Are there beaches between Dangriga and Placencia where you can snorkeling without going to any cayes?

Thanks, Beth

got4boyz:
Remote sounds GREAT to me. My husband would never go diving without me since I like to dive more than he does. I would let him, but he wouldn't want to make me jealous like that! LOL Are there beaches between Dangriga and Placencia where you can snorkeling without going to any cayes?

Thanks, Beth

There are beaches but because the sea gradually becomes shallow as you approach the mainland of Belize, plus multiple streams and rivers that drain off the land, the vis isn't very good. You can go out about 5-8 miles or so and get good vis and some really nice little cayes. Lot's of fish and usually some barracudas prowling around. There's lot's to do on land. You'll enjoy. Hank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom