Belize land activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My girlfriend and I are doing a liveaboard in June. We are interested in seeing the country if there are "must see" things to do. A few quick internet searches did not reveal much. Do most divers just go to dive or am I missing something?

From Belize Aggressor's main page:
A trip to this Central American paradise isn’t complete without a visit to Belize’s Mayan ruins, a cave tubing ride through the jungle, or a canopy tour through the tree tops. Tours are offered on Friday afternoon, but an extended stay is recommended to fully enjoy the wonders of Belize.

If you fly down to south Belize (Stann Crrek/Hopkins/Placencia) after your diving the list gets longer. This is Hamanasi's - an upscale resort in the Hopkins area. Rainforest Adventures - Hamanasi

I haven't been there but some friends did the Cockscomb tour - no Jaguars but a lot of Howler Monkeys.

Last edited:
Plenty of opportunities for Mayan ruins and various jungle experiences, river tubing, etc. On our first trip in 2014 we spent half a week at a jungle lodge in the Belmopan area and a half week at Ambergris Caye. For the jungle lodge portion we did a jungle hike/rapelling down into a sink hole on day 1; cave experience climbing up a series of 5 waterfalls inside of a cave and then jumping back down on the way out on day 2 and a trip to the Tikal ruins in Guatemala on day 3. All of this was done whle staying at Caves Branch Lodge, which I would definitely recommend. The rooms at the lodge are awesome - surrounded by jungle, fall asleep to the jungle noises at night (no AC). Might be worth doing some research on air temps during June....we were there during Christmas week in Dec. 2014.

Belize Adventure Tours | Belize All Inclusive Vacations | Belize Resorts – Caves Branch Jungle Lodge

I'm in my last two days of a 3 weeks holidays in Belize.
As far as inland activities go, I loved the ATM cave tour. I also saw plenty of Mayan temple ruins and found them great (it's my first time in Latin America, so everything is pretty new to me here). I think the one I prefered was Caracol, but hard to decide. I didn't went to Tikal in Guatemala, but a lot of travellers I met during this trip went there and loved it.
There is also a lot of hiking and other outdoor activity. I found the nature and wildlife here absolutely fantastic.
Although to be fair, I loved the diving so much that I skipped a few of the inland tours I was planning on doing to dive more, so I didn't see as much as what I planned for before coming here.

Do most divers just go to dive or am I missing something?

Ton of stuff to do. Starting in the north and easily accessible from BZ City and the airport (not that I'm recommending BZ but my guess is that's your pick up and drop off point), there's the Belize Zoo, Altun Ha, Lamanai, the Baboon Sanctuary, Cave Tubing, Zip Lining and Old Belize.

Moving further inland, there's ATM, a bunch of "eco-resorts" with jungle trails and destinations like The Pine Forest, Xunantunich and Caracol.

Head south and there's the Hummingbird Highway, the Blue Hole, Mayan village tours, Cockscomb Basin, Banana Farm, Spice Farm, Nim Li Punit, Lubantuun, Blue Creek Cave and more jungle trails and waterfalls than you'll ever get to in a lifetime.

I don't know if most divers go just to dive, but I always make it a point to head inland in search of adventure. Belize is a small country but it has a lot to offer and a lot more than I just listed off the top of my head.

You might want to check out: Belize (Insight Guides): Insight Guides: 9789812589958: Amazon.com: Books for more ideas.

Last edited:
We signed with a local tour company and saw 3 things with their guide: the underwater river in a mile long cave (2) Maya ruins in Xunantunich (3) Belize zoo. (1) and (2) before the liveaboard, (3) after. The company name sounds like "Explorer" or smth like that. We liked all 3. The guide provided the car for the trips.

Have been several times - diving and not. Lots to do, Downing has a pretty complete list. Liked the Zoo (small but interesting), Placencia as a town to explore and hang out, and Cayo country for exploring trails, horse back riding etc. Did not make it to Tikal but hear it is worth the trip.

Got to do the ATM cave!!

I left out towns and villages when I was thinking of things to do, but I find them interesting, each in its own way.

Belize City - by far the biggest and the baddest town but still has some interesting historical things to see. It was the country's capital until Hurricane Hattie devastated it in 1961 back when the country was known as British Honduras. There's the Governors House, the Swinging Bridge, Baron von Bliss Memorial, the old American Embassy, St Johns Cathedral, Belize Museum (former BH prison), the waterfront and Tourism Village. Best not to travel alone. Stick to the main streets. Try to blend in. Never go anywhere after dark.

Orange Walk - feels like Mexico. Close to Lamanai.

Belmopan - now the country's capital, moved far enough inland that it should survive the next big hurricane. Some interesting government buildings. The American Embassy looks like a fortress. Not much else there except good Mexican food and a nice park on the river.

Spanish Lookout - turn off the Western Highway and within five minutes you'll think you're in Ohio. The Mennonites are an industrious lot. It's the go to place for everything from farm equipment to pre-built houses, granite counter tops and windows. If you need something built, just ask a Mennonite from Spanish Lookout.

San Ignacio - rockin' little town and fairly well spruced up for tourists in the last few years. Great place to buy marijuana if one is so inclined as it's usually offered to me within minutes of walking around. I always pass as I don't want to take a chance on spending my vacation in the Hattieville Prison awaiting extradition back to the US. SI is in the Cayo District and is a jumping off point for jungle adventures.

Dangriga - largest Garifuna village in Belize. Very poor but also very bustling with activity. Sitting on a billion dollar view of the ocean.

Hopkins - a smaller version of Dangriga just to the south. Growing fast with ex-pats.

Placencia - a small fishing village meets tourism. Even though it's on the mainland, it has a definite island vibe because the peninsula is barely wider than the highway in some places and even in the wider spots you are almost always looking at water.

Punta Gorda - in the Toledo District, which is the very most southern part of Belize and that probably has something to do with it being the poorest district as well. Probably the least touched by tourism. Right on the Bay of Honduras but otherwise surrounded by jungle and lots of very small Mayan villages and ruins. This is my personal favorite area to visit and I always make it a point to spend at least a few days there, usually in the middle of a dive trip to Placencia.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom