Belize - Must see? Must do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trip report:
We started out trip on the main land. We rented a car from Crystal rental and headed inland to the Cayo distinct and the town of San ignacio. We stopped at the orange gallery on the way. Cool restaurant and craft gallery with some interesting items. We stayed the first leg of the trip at Black Rock Lodge. It's on the other side of San Ignacio. It's a little tricky getting through the town. I think we did the circle twice before figuring out the right place to turn. We loved the town. The trip to Black Rock was an adventure in its self. I think my wife said "what did you get me into?" fifty times as we drove the road/path along the twisting river through the jungle. The last couple of miles I was thinking it too. But the second we saw the place we knew the trip was worth it. I highly recommend staying there ! The place is amazing and the food is great. We used their guides for a few day trips. A short trip Xunantunich was ok at first but the cruise line busses showed up and the place was packed soon after. We felt for the cruise ppl. They led them thru like cattle. Our small tour group was allowed to wonder and explore. The next tour was to Caracol ruins. That was a 2 and a half hour trek on unpaved roads, if you could call it that. The last bit we had to wait for a military excort. We loved that site. Only a few others there besides us. Awesome time. Once again we were allowed to explore and I even crawled into a tomb or two. After the ruins we headed for a nearby river with beautiful falls for a swim. I think I even have found an Undiscovered ruin on our way back to San Ignacio.
Next post the market and zoo.

---------- Post added September 13th, 2014 at 09:58 PM ----------

Our last night at Black Rock Lodge we taken tarantula spotting. We were introduced to a very large girl living in a base of a tree. The next morning after looking franticly for my rental car keys for an hour I found them were I put so not to loose them and we were off. It was Saturday and we headed to the market. Everyone from around the district shows up to buy or sell. We had fun trading with the locals and getting some souvenirs to take home. And the food, it was a treat. I got some of the best tasting bananas and other fruit for almost nothing. After the market we said goodbye to San Ignacio and headed to the Zoo. The zoo may have been the best experience of the trip. We had booked a VIP tour with the Zoo and upon arrival were introduced to Sharon Matola the curator. She took us to see the animals up close and personal. She is a great lady. At one point we were taken into the Jaguar enclosure and put into a small cage and the cat was released back in the enclosure. It jumped on top of the cage we were in an laid there so we could rub it's belly. Sharon told me to press my head to the top of the cage and as I did the large cat started licking my forehead. My wife loves the Harpy eagle and could not stop talking about seeing one in person and soon Sharon had us in the Harpy cage. Not normally part of the tour.
If you ever have a chance to visit the zoo do so! And if you can afford it do the VIP tour. You will not be disappointed.

Next post off to Ambergris Caye

---------- Post added September 13th, 2014 at 10:49 PM ----------

We returned our car to crystal rentals at the airport and headed to the caye. We stayed at the Blue Tang Resort in San pedro. It is a nice hotel and at a reasonable price. There are bigger and better resorts but you will pay more for them. Blue tang is close to chuck and robbie's dive center and wet willy's bar. We dove with Chuck and robbie's. They are great ppl to dive with and we had a great time. Big sexy is a character. I will say that I was disappointed at the condition of the reef. It seems that it's in bad shape. We didn't do the blue hole. I was told for the money it's really not worth it. Shark and ray alley was a disappointment to me. As we got in they poured chum bait in the water and the rays and sharks moved in for a few seconds it was cool but then another tour boat showed up with their chum bait and all the fish moved to them. They have learned to chase the boats so if it's a busy day your encounters may be short lived. Later that night we went to wet willy's and that to was a fun time. And great food. The best key lime pie in the world can be found at the Blue Water grill. And for the best local cooking try El Fogon near the airport. We rented bikes to better explore the island but soon turned them it. Everything really is within walking distance.
All in all Ambergris was ok, It is a party town and very touristy. I wish we had tried the more southern islands of belize. It's not that we did not have fun but I hear the southern islands are a bit more pristine.
We took the ferry back to Belize city. That was a disappointment. It's a small boat and we were packed in like sardines. At caye caulker we had to switch boats because they said there was a problem. I would not recommend taking the ferry. Fly in its faster and more fun
Not belize city.

---------- Post added September 13th, 2014 at 11:32 PM ----------

In belize city we stayed at Radisson. We stayed one night before our flight back. There were 3 cruise ships in port that day. We took a walk into the city and we're warned by a guy selling wooden sculptures not to venture past the check point. We should have listened to him. The second we passed the gates we were bombarded by salesman. For anything and everything. When the ships are in town everyone is looking to make money off the tourists. We headed to the bridge. I was told not to cross it. I have read not to cross is. So we crossed it. There is a world created for the tourists and then there is the real belize city. We had crossed over to that world. Homeless ppl laying on the street. Beggers hoping for a hand out. Trash. Dirt. Suddenly a starving dog with a bad case of the mange aimlessly walked by and my wife began to cry. I turn to the ice cream stand and bought something to give to it. A local that had been trying to get me to buy some crappy got upset and tried to start an argument with me. That I would not buy his stuff but I would feed a dog. Lol. It was at that point that I realized that I should not have brought my wife into this place. And we headed back over the bridge and back into the tourist village. As we crossed the check point I realized it was there not for us but to keep the locals out.

---------- Post added September 13th, 2014 at 11:53 PM ----------

Tips and suggestions:
Don't go into Belize city! After you get off the plane head straight out. Go online and look up the ship schedules to see how many cruise ships will be in port while you are there. Schedule your trip around them. On days with many ships stay way from popular attractions or try to do things more inland. We did not do the blue hole. It's a long trip and costly. Plus there is not a lot to see till you are at 140 feet. If you are not certified for deep diving don't risk it. San Pedro on Ambergris caye is ok if you like to party. Check out the southern islands for a slower paced trip and to see whale sharks. And do try the gibnut of you get a chance. I passed on the cow foot stew but others liked it. If you get a rental car go with a 4 wheel drive. Crystal rental rents gps too for a little extra. And use your phone to video the vehicle from top to bottom when you pick it up. The roads in belize are bad and some of the rentals show it. On returning our jeep the lady pointed out a chip on the window and my video proved it was already there. If you are near San ignacio on Saturday do go to the market. We never made it to ATM but everyone we talked at Black Rock Lodge that had taken that trip loved it.

Last edited:
Ambergris Caye is a long narrow island that runs North and South. The Barrier Reef runs parallel to the island on its East side, so that’s where we dive. Almost all the development, Hotels, Resorts, Restaurants, bars, Dive Shop etc. are lined up along the East shore. The West Side of the island is mangrove and shallow lagoon.
The international airport is on the mainland of Belize in a town called Ladyville. After you land you will need transportation to the island. It’s easy to catch one of the small aircraft to the island from international and they leave every hour. You will land at the airstrip which is in the town of San Pedro on the South end of Ambergris Caye. If you came by boat you most likely dock in San Pedro as well.
Cabs are cheap and easy to use for short distances around the town core where streets are paved.
Tourist and residents travel up and down the island along its East shore either by The Costal Express water taxi or by golf cart. The town core has good road but after you leave town and cross the little bridge headed North the road is a single lane dirt path. Dive shops, resorts and some restaurants have boats that pick up and drop off guest for their variety of activities.

Sorry about your time in Belize City, ibmerlin, I would certainly have warned you against any time there had it occurred to me that you might even consider such a thing. All that said, you got a very real experience without anything worse happening to the two of you.

Most Belizeans don't think of dogs the same way we do. It's sad for us but that's the way of things in other countries.

Glad you enjoyed Chuck and Robbie's. I love Robbie. :)

ChillyinCanada, I was warned.. I'm just not to smart. :)I wasn't really that worried just got pissed having to argue with a guy on one side of me and deal with my upset wife on the other. that was the only down side to the trip. Well, that and the water taxi ride back to the main land. Robbie's was a great group to dive with and overall the trip was great. My only regret was not getting a pic of Big Sexy's arm tattoo. Would love to have one done like that.

Belize has a lot offer.
My kids liked it so much we did it again.
Also stayed at the Blue Tang - dove with Chuck & Robbies and ate at Wet Willys...

The ATM is worth it!

Last edited:
I know I'm in the distinct minority, but I actually enjoy walking around Belize City. I've found it's best to walk around it either very early in the morning, like 6 - 7 am, or during the early afternoon when it's packed with people. Stick to the main streets, don't make eye contact with anyone with whom you don't want to engage and keep moving. Lots to see and do. Very friendly people. But don't go out at night anywhere for anything.

IMG_1714.jpg

You say:

I've found it's best to walk around it either very early in the morning, like 6 - 7 am, or during the early afternoon when it's packed with people.

Stick to the main streets, don't make eye contact with anyone with whom you don't want to engage and keep moving.

But don't go out at night anywhere for anything.

But also say:

Very friendly people.

Wow. Sounds like some awfully dangerous very friendly people! :wink:
Richard.

Back
Top Bottom