Belize Mystery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

Shot this a while ago and have been mesmerized by the colours and am now curious as to what this is.

I do not think it is coral, I think it is (part of) an anemone. But not sure. This was one of those situations where at the end of the day while I reviewed my pictures I had a "look what I found" moment. I do not remember taking the shot, but I do know that the picture is about 1 inch across.

The closest thing I could find in Humann was either a Sun or Elegant Anemone but neither seemed a good match.
a.jpg

So am looking for suggestions. Regardless of the answer, I just love the colors.

Hard to say...What part are we looking at?

Taking a bit of a guess, perhaps we are looking at the center of a mushroom coral. At first I considered Ricordia florida, but then started looking at Discosoma sp. as a possibility. I could be completely wrong.

Knobby cactus coral, maybe. It looks so familiar to me but without a shot from farther out, just can't be sure other than to say I definitely recognize what you've caught here; particularly that in the lower left corner.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2013 at 06:41 PM ----------

Just went and looked at many more pictures and find myself more convinced that the shot is a closeup of knobby cactus.

Yes, looks much more like like knobby cactus coral than my earlier guess.

Looks like a scleractinian of some sort to me. Bob Fenner of wetwebmedia.com might be able to ID it for you. Good guy, met him at MACNA one year. Or try posting the picture on reefcentral.com- someone there might be able to help. Best of luck :).

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom