Belize next Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islanddream, i believe July 2012 was the time I was having trouble getting nitrox. How about that! Viz wasn't that great though if memory serves.

Most if not all of the Nitrox in San Pedro comes from Amigos Del Mar as does most of the air fills at most of the shops. Most shops shy away from Nitrox because they need to arrange for it ahead of time and pre pay for it. It is expensive. Most of the smaller dive shops seem to run on a shoe string budget and $15us EXTRA per tank is a challenge to front.

Personally, I think the reason a few people are underwhelmed with the local diving off of San Pedro is that all of the sites are relatively deep and the colors are definitely shifted.

We were just there this past December.

How was the weather. I'm assuming you didn't lose any dives because of storms?

How was the weather. I'm assuming you didn't lose any dives because of storms?

The weather was not exactly perfect... But apparently the week prior was much worse and they did miss dives! Weather was great Sat-Tues which was perfect as we did the BH Tuesday. The rest of the week was quite rainy. Thurs night we actually ordered a pizza delivered to the room as it was pouring and we were still chilled from diving! Zooming back to dock in an open boat in the pouring rain really puts a chill on. Apparently very unusually extended rainy season last year. We actually did MORE dives because of the weather :wink: Would have skipped a day and did the ruins if better weather. Figured may as well dive if its raining.

Myself, I also found Coz diving to be beautiful, however, much prefer the overall diving in Belize. How anyone could not see beauty in the fantastic finger canyons is beyond me. When was the last time you had half a dozen nurse sharks swimming all around you whilst on a dive in Coz? Yeah, that's what I figured. ;^)

February 16th, Palancar Horseshoe.

I agree with your friend. It is better if you book flight and hotel. However if you decide to go with them I may suggest you ask which companies they are going to be putting you with.

I just got our plane tickets for Belize this Christmas (was trying to go to Bangka and Lembeh but alas it will have to wait another year, couldn't pull it off). I will be staying on Caye Caulker though. The dive op I chose (Belize Diving Service) said that there are waiting lists for dive trips during the holiday season and that the island will be packed....so I booked everything ahead. I would think it might be the same case for Ambergris Caye....I know if I'm going on a diving trip I need to be darn sure there will be room for me on the boat.....
I'm not sure how set you are on staying on Ambergris but Belize Diving Service offers a 10 tank package and that includes any dive trips (Turneffe North, Blue Hole+Lighthouse Reef, just Lighthouse Reef, Barrier Reef) for only $550. The Blue Hole trips alone are $250-$300!
Have a beautiful, wonderful time and let me know if by chance you plan on hopping over to Caye Caulker!

Waiting lists for dive trips? Lol

---------- Post added September 7th, 2014 at 11:11 AM ----------

Caye Caulker and San Pedro are very different destinations.

:headscratch:my wife and I are thinking Belize next Christmas
I've been on their web site and contacted Trade winds Paradise they set up an itinerary for us with a blue hole dive and 4 -2 tank days reef diving, a tour of the ruins and zip lining seem pretty reasonable we think But on our trip to mexico our prearranged trip was not that great
so has any one dealt with this company ?
I was told by friend I might be better to book a flight and the hotel and when we get there book dive trips and other things day by day.?
An off the wall idea.

why not spend Christam doing some marine ID. Check out ReefCI.

I was on Ambergris last Christmas. I do not think you will need to book the dive trips ahead. We also used Chuck and Robbies and loved it. I am a relatively new diver but was less impressed than I thought I would be with the diving. the finger canyons were great, we saw a couple of reef sharks but the visibility was not great overall. The weather was a bit stormy while we were there and that may have been a big part of it. If I were to go again, I would make the effort to get out to do some of the wall dives. I was also told that the Blue Hole was not worth the effort. Enjoy your trip, I wish I could go with you!

Back
Top Bottom